Oh no! I think our Runner duckling is getting sick!

Hahaha! That's what we do with out bigger animals, just wasn't sure it would work with the ducklings, as small as they are. Would it be accurate to ounce or something?

I'd think you'd need an infant scale or a food scale or a postage scale to weigh the little thing. But maybe you could compare the size to another sort of bird--a parakeet, or cockatiel or something, and guesstimate weight based on that?

We have a food scale, that we use to measure feed or medication, but it only goes up to one pound. So if he happens to be less than a pound we're good! lol He seems to be about the size of a med. parrot I guess. He's the biggest of our 4 runner babies, and he is 4 weeks old.

I put a call in to the vet, and left a message, so hopefully I hear something soon!

Here he is wet in the bathtub, so you can see his size better. Any guesses? lol

skillettall.jpg

You could probably get a good guess using the food scale and the people scale. If he weighs less than a pound, the food scale will do it. If he weighs more, then you should be able to get within half a pound of his weight using the other scale. It's not perfect, but maybe it will be good enough?

I don't know enough about bird weights to help much, but could you google the name of a bird of approximately the same size (Amazon? or are you thinking Conure?) and see if you can find data on average weights? Heck, I wonder if anyone has published average weights for runner ducklings at different ages.

I don't have a digital one.
sad.png
Would ask a neighbor but the only one I know who might have one is out of town. The other one is one of those crotchety neighbors who gives you and your animals the stink eye and turns you in to the city if your grass is over 6" tall.
barnie.gif

He even asked me the stupidest question the other day. I am pregnant and my baby developed a very severe condition at around 20 weeks. We learned it was because of the Parvo B19 virus , or fifths disease. It's a human only virus. Anyway, he asks me, "You get that from all those darn animals?" and motions over at my drake, who is standing next to me.
th.gif
I give up with him.

Anyway, I am on my way to the feed store now. Still waiting to hear back from the vet. She is probably on a house call. Will let you know what I find out!!

Vet did not get back to me before the weekend. Luckily Skillet seems fine now. No more sneezing and no throwing up. He has been active all day too. Maybe he was just having an off day? I am still watching him, and I picked up some of those Vitamin drops for him today. Just have to figure out dosage for ducks. I am going to search it on here, as I am pretty sure I s aw another thread with this info in there recently.

Anyway, thanks for all the help and tips and
fl.gif
that he is all better!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom