Oh No! One of my little serama chicks is sick!!!!! UPDATE 6/21!

And now he's WALKING!!! ...although I'm also now thinking "he" is a she...lol At any rate......starting walking today! The right foot was still knuckling over...so I made a little cardboard/paper towel/duct tape splint to hold it out flat...seems to be working
smile.png
I'm so excited that he/she is suddenly recovering so quickly after nothing for like a week! This just shows how resilient these little guys can be!

Don't want to hijack this post, but this morning I have a 2 week old Welsummer pullet with the same kind of symptoms. Everything seemed fine at bedtime, but now has trouble getting her legs under her. Her two sisters are fine, and haven't abandoned her. She will eat and drink, but immediately "sits" again. Vent appears ok, no signs of crop trouble. Will prepare the suggested nutritional mixture this morning, and pick up some polyvisol, but I wonder if she will even make it until I get home this evening??? Any advice is appreciated!

I'm very happy things worked out for your little serama!

My little one only actually got the vitamins for about 2 days........ I am convinced that this was some sort of injury that had swelling producing the symptoms.....and then the swelling finally started going down a couple days ago allowing the little one to regain functionality. Today she is able to put her right foot out properly somewhat (sometimes it knuckles over...sometimes it is right).

Don't give up hope for your little one! I would isolate her....my others weren't harrassing the injured one, but they were stepping on her and such.....isolating will allow the little one to heal more peacefully. I did allow visits for mine with the others. As long as your little one is eating and drinking and doesn't appear to be suffering I wouldn't give up! Sometimes all it takes is a little time and extra attention.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I don't give up easily, and hope this little one won't either. Because they look like they are wearing sumptuous fur coats, I named them after ladies of the silver screen - Elizabeth Taylor, Sophia Loren, and Princess Grace. This one is Elizabeth - I hope she is as much a fighter as her namesake.

Back
Top Bottom