oh no! one-week-old guinea keets are dying. what to do??? *updated*

tazzy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Kentucky
I'm cross-posting this from the guinea board, since this is an emergency and maybe someone here will see this and can help.

I bought 12 one-week-old guinea keets from a BYC'er yesterday at a BYC event. She hatched them from a broody guinea and took them from their mom yesterday morning.

They had a long drive/day yesterday - about 10 hrs without food, although they had water except for the drive time of 4 hours one way as the BYC'er brought them to the event, and then 2-1/2 hrs from the event back to our house. Obviously a stressful day for the keets.

They all made it home safe last night, but this morning, four were dead. I just checked, and one more was dead, and two others are laying on their sides and obviously about to die. I picked them up and they chirped a bit, but they have stiff legs and floppy heads and can't walk or get up.

It so heartbreaking. What can I do to help them, if anything? They are in the brooder where we've raised many, many chicks, with a brooder lamp to keep the babies warm. I found them together under the heat lamp this morning, so they know where to find the heat. They have food and water. I put a shallow dish of extra water in there this morning, just in case they didn't find the other waterer. I don't know what has happened or what went wrong.

Any suggestions on how to save my remaining keets? Four of the remaining ones seem fine, but one is staggering around a bit, so I think it will be the next to lay down and not get up.

Thanks...

Update - all of them are dead. never mind. 12 of 12 gone in 24 hours.
sad.png

Last edited:
I am sorry for the loss. How old were they? Maybe taken from the mom too soon? They couldn't regulate their body temperature, couldn't handle all that stress and no food for 10 hours did them in.

What a horrible lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom