Oh, NO! Raw egg eating chicken!

airmom1c05

Songster
11 Years
Feb 3, 2008
Raymond, Mississippi
I am sad to report that my mixed chicken, Brandy has not really quit laying for 6 days now. I found half of one of her egg shells in the middle of the coop floor this morning, but no evidence of the insides of the egg. I think she laid it in the rafters but i can't be certain about that. To my utter surprise, I found a still warm egg in the cat carrier which is sitting next to her nesting box with some shavings in it. To my dismay, when I picked it up I discovered it had a peck hole in one end. For whatever reason, she had not eaten it. Also, I should note that the shell was not as hard as hers usually are, thus to be fair, since she does peck lightly on an egg she's just laid to reposition it, she might not have intended to break it open. However, if she has developed a taste for raw eggs, is there anything I can do to break the habit other than being there when she lays? Thank goodness she can't get to Penny's little bantam eggs!

SHuff chicks,NC
smile.png
Hello,this is not too unusual.But the best thing is to clip her top beak off with a pair of fingernail clippers.This will stop her from pecking them.And also give her lots of oyster shells with her food.It will not hurt her to clip her beak.This can be done at any age........Good Luck....worked for me.SHuff chicks BYC Sandra:
D.gif
PS: not the whole top beak,just a small piece of it.

Mine have started to do that too . Some say that if it cracks when it hits the nest box , they will eat it . They said to line the box w/ card board . I'm going to try something like that . I've also heard of putting golf balls in the nest which I am also going to try if I can ever remember to !
he.gif

Last edited:
Thank you both. I'll try golf balls first since my husband has an abundance of them and doesn't play golf anymore. If that fails, I'll pray for the nerve to trim her beak, but I'm afraid I might be a chicken!
lol.png

My hens went through a period of egg eating. I think that it was due to thin shelled eggs being broken partly by accident. I have observed my hens pecking at eggs and think that they test the shells to see how thick they are. If they break they eat the contents, which saves waste. If the shells are thick enough to last during incubation they do not get broken. Perhaps the hens are brighter than we give them credit for. Since mine have started to lay stronger shells I have had no trouble. Give them grit.

All right, Warren. Even though Brandy free ranges, I do have some parakeet grit. I'll put another bowl down at the feed station. I have it sprinkled in baby Dahlia's pen and on the coop floor, but I haven't had any in a bowl at the feed station for a couple of weeks. I sure do appreciate everyone who has advised me regarding this issue. There truly is comfort in numbers. Good to know I'm not alone and possible solutions. Glad there is still HOPE for a good fresh egg in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom