Oh No!

jimandkira2002

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2015
My heating lamp just went out and my little chicks are only 2 days old! Can I use a heating pad under the brood box to keep them warm? Will that be enough till I can get another bulb tomorrow?

My heating lamp just went out and my little chicks are only 2 days old! Can I use a heating pad under the brood box to keep them warm? Will that be enough till I can get another bulb tomorrow?
There is an excellent article written by Blooie about use of a heating pad to brood chicks. Many of us now use nothing but a heating pad. It provides a much more natural source of heat that mimics a broody hen. But, the secret is to place the heating pad over a wire frame, and tuck both pad and frame inside a pillow case so the chicks can't get caught between wire frame and the pad. You can click on the link to her article in my signature line. If you are brooding chicks inside, the standard heat lamp bulbs usually kick out too much heat anyways. You only want to heat a very small area of the brooder, allowing the rest of the brooder to be about 20* cooler than the heated end.

I unfortunately don't have any wire to put it on :( All I can do is put it under the pee pee pad I have on the bottom of my brood box. I only have the heat source on one side of the brood box so they can get away from it when ever they want. My lamp wasn't that close and I had a thermometer in there with them and I don't let it get above 95F. :(

I have one that will stay on. I foster neonatal kittens so I always have heating pads that don't have the 2 hour shut off on them :) All my little chicklets are laying on the pad now with a cloth cover over it so its not to hot for them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom