Oh no!

tabba11

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Maine
One of the RiRs started running around shaking her head and opening and closing her beak. The others freaked out and started pecking at her beak. We went in and picked her up and she had broken the tip off her beak. We wiped the dried blood off and she seems to be eating ok although not as well as before. The others are not bothering her now. She does keep resting with her eyes closed but I think she is ok. Poor thing! I was right there when it happened and still dont know what she did. I feel so helpless!!

as long as she can eat she should be just fine. it might look strange for awhile but she should be OK. make sure there is NO bleeding before you return her to the other chickens. reason I'm sure she will be OK is I have a cross beak and I have to trim the upper and lower beaks once a month. one time I accidentally cut too much off and she bled something awful and looked strange for awhile but was still able to eat and drink thank God. she did just fine. I'm sure your bird will also do well. best wishes.

Thank you! She had stopped bleeding and we wiped off the dried blood. Will it grow back? How did she break it?

yes it will grow back. not sure how she broke it. she could have had a crack in it that couldn't be seen then just pecked just right and fractured it off. that's my guess. hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom