Oh NOOOOO! Round worms!!

Quote:
Thanks!

You're welcome...I am sure that one of many ways!
thumbsup.gif

Personally I have been using Wizine or Peprizine for years it gets rounds and pens those are the most common worms in a chicken. I alternate with Ivovec. This has kept my flock and many local flocks happy and healthy. Every one has their own way of doing things, this works for me to control both external and internal paricites.

Quote:
Thanks!

Zonoma, you never mentioned their age lol. 1livelychick provided another way to do it, and that will work extremely well also. You suspect gapeworm. I recommend valbazen dosed orally, give them 1/4cc each. Redose in 10 days.
You can also use dose orally with safeguard liquid goat wormer...1/4cc and redose in 10 days.
If they are eating and drinking normally, it may not be gapeworm. Gapeworm clogs their windpipe, suffocating them. They wouldnt be able to swallow and they would be gasping for their last breath. Take a Q-tip and stick it 1 inch down the throat and gently swab, then remove the Q-tip. If you see a red in color "Y" shaped worm on the Q-tip, it's gapeworm. Here's a pic showing what gapeworm looks like in a chickens windpipe. Note the one in the middle that is clear, it is normal. Now you can see how the trachea would be clogged so easily with all those worms resulting in suffocation due to the lack of oxygen.
19157_gapeworms-in-windpipe.jpg

Valbazen kills tapeworms in chickens as well as gapeworms. Here's a pic of one type of poultry tapeworms: ETA: flat, segmented and ribbonlike. There's another type that looks like rice in the poop.
19157_worms1.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi iajewel, Thanks for your input. I didn't know that wazine controls external parasites. I must have some tough mites! I had to use the dust with permetherin (sp?) . that and the Poutry protector. I spray the coops roosts, walls boxes you name it every two weeks to keep those buggers at bay. I live in NW GA lots of bugs here, for sure! Saw my first scorpion a couple of weeks ago:sick ! THat's why I want to ultimately use the eprinex once I get my flock on the schedule that Dawg has suggested. I have almost ninety birds and I do all I can to take care of them!
Dawg never seen a gapeworm before I'll have to do research.. how are they picked up?

Quote:
Hi iajewel, Thanks for your input. I didn't know that wazine controls external parasites. I must have some tough mites! I had to use the dust with permetherin (sp?) . that and the Poutry protector. I spray the coops roosts, walls boxes you name it every two weeks to keep those buggers at bay. I live in NW GA lots of bugs here, for sure! Saw my first scorpion a couple of weeks ago:sick ! THat's why I want to ultimately use the eprinex once I get my flock on the schedule that Dawg has suggested. I have almost ninety birds and I do all I can to take care of them!
Dawg never seen a gapeworm before I'll have to do research.. how are they picked up?

Wazine does nothing against external parasites, it is strictly a wormer used against large roundworms only.
Here's a link regarding gapeworm lifecycle, where and how they are picked up etc...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapeworm

Quote:

Wazine does nothing against external parasites, it is strictly a wormer used against large roundworms only.
Here's a link regarding gapeworm lifecycle, where and how they are picked up etc...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapeworm

That's what I thought, Dawg. Just wanted to make sure. There is so much to learn! Thanks for the link!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom