Oh Oh Oh I have crazy neighbours too and they have a crazy dog.

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is the only answer sometimes with bad neighbors and their free roaming domesticated predators. Hopefully, they can be held accountable for the damage already done. Out here the Sheriff's dept will write a ticket for dog at large if somebody calls. With court costs, it works out to about $125 per incident. They will also impound the animal for ten days at the owners cost unless the owner can prove they have vaccinations. They do that on the assumption that there may have been a rabies risk while it was running loose. I love our Sheriff's dept. They have a zero tolerance for roaming dogs.

I must say you made me smile:). I appreciate every answer. I'm listening

I'm so very sorry for your losses...
My neighbours have a German Shorthaired Pointer with no training. Their idea of walking him is to open the door and let him loose.And a couple of hours later to drive their truck up and down the street honking their horn until he jumps in the truck.

He's gone after my birds. Chased Obelisk completely out of the yard and down the street and I didn't find her for over an hour. She had dog slobber on her back too, which just made me madder. And the othe was like Oh no and I was like Oh YES he did!!

According to Animal control, I can blast him if he's in the yard again. All I have is an Airsoft, but I WILL use it.

I was just talking to my Prepaid Legal lawyer about this yesterday. The trick is protecting your livestock without going into feud mode -- which is likely to happen if you exercise your legal right to kill a dog that's harassing your livestock. The folks who let their dogs chase neighbors livestock on a half step away from other nastiness anyway, IMO.

The lawyer suggested letting the authorities (sheriff or pound) explain things. Says that often has more of an impact than hearing the facts from a mere neighbor.

Anyway, I had talked to my neighbors several times nicely about their new Jack Russell Terrier chasing my chickens & eying my goat. They seem to have a really hard time keeping the dog contained. And they felt that I should keep my animals penned so that their dog could freely use my property.
roll.png

A few days ago the dog was again getting close to the goat, so I tied the dog securely on the far side of my property. (She's a sweet little thing, just a bad breed to be around livestock, and she deserves better people.) When they eventually noticed she was gone & came looking for her I said, VERY firmly, "If you can't keep her tied up on your property, she will be tied up here. If she injures any of my animals, you will pay for the damages -- and the dog goes to the pound." They left in a huff. I suspect they talked to their own Prepaid Legal lawyer, since the dog has not been loose since then. Must have been a shock to find out that I was actually being more than reasonable.

My good neighbor was over here when they came to get the dog (she wanted to see the fireworks). Now the word is that if anyone needs me to get on anyone's case about anything, they can just put a dog on my property.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom