Oh Oh Oh I have crazy neighbours too and they have a crazy dog.

jonjoka

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
My people, I just read about that dog that almost killed the RIR and I thought I would write about my tragedy. I haven't been able to come here and talk about my loss but now I feel some strength. Last saturday I was sitting in my living room with my teen age daughter. We were doing school work since we are both in school. I heard my dog bark and since he barks at everything we ignored him. What we didn't know was that two dogs had arrived in my yard. My chicken were having fun outside. We always let them out when we are home because my husband is usually outside doing stuff. Well, he was picked up by his brother to help him with something. I heard a knock at the door and it was a couple that likes to walk on our street. She said there was a dog killing my chickens, I ran outside and one of them disappeared but the other one, which is my neighbour's, from across the street, was busy killing. She had a big rooster in its mouth, I hit her with a big stick and she let go but he was dead. When the dogs left I saw four lying dead. Later I saw the dog with one its mouth crossing the street running home, I think she hid that one and crossed the street and picked another one from somewhere she had hidden another one. Thats when I lost my mind and I went to them and told them their dog is killing my chicken. They denied it. I opened the door under their porch and there she was with one of my chickens. These people did not even apologise, infact when I left, I heard some chuckles. I turned and I told them, '' if that dog ever lands on my yard I'll shoot her dead' I went home and called animal control, they came and I recorded a statement then they went to that house. Sorry for writing too much but I feel like sharing helps. Six of my beautiful chickens dead. The rooster was a nice humble pretty one. Thanks for your time. By the way the following day the dog came back looking for the chickens.

All the chickens are now inside. They were so traumatised that day. The dog just walked around and went back.

hit.gif
SO sorry for your loss...

I am so sorry hun!!!! I would have littearlly kiled that dog the next time i saw it (but i probably would have killed it the first time...). People around here atleast see no shame in murdering innocent cats just walking in their property so you can betcha i'd shot down a dog(s) rampaging my livestock...not only is it satisfiying but it's also legal
smile.png

next time it come in the yard if you don't shoot it, catch it and call animal control. And don't forget to send the people across the street a nice bill for the chickens already killed.

i totally understand you but i wont even comment on this every time i do on one of these subjects there tends to be drama. hahahaha but good luck on your situation and hope you get it worked out by doing whatever you feel it is you must do.

The dog's owners' have the responsibility to manage their dogs actions. They have shown they are unwilling to by having the dog loose in the first place, by not reacting appropriately when they were told of the tragedy (while being rude to you, as well), and especially by turning him loose THE NEXT DAY.
Good for you, calling Animal Control while evidence was fresh! I would have a gun out for the dog for tomorrow if it were me, though I would probably aim for his leg or something. If that thought bothers you, just shooting a warning shot close to him may motivate his owners to take their responsibilities seriously. But if not, you have every right to shoot the dog, but I realize your feelings and understanding of the details of the situation may guide you to a different solution.
I am so so so sorry for the death of your chickens. That has got to be so hard. Chickens are so sweet (and it sounds like your rooster had a particularly special heart) and so vulnerable. Bless you!

Back
Top Bottom