OH SNAP!! Is this a roo? Please help!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NoSleepTillBrooklyn, Apr 4, 2011.

  1. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

    NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

    62
    0
    39
    Mar 17, 2011
    So my daughter wanted a chicken. Well, mom wanted chickens, and got daughter excited about it! So now she's deeply attached to her "Mindy" who upon looking at her tail feathers may be a Mork. [​IMG] Uh-oh. We can't have a rooster, so she'll be devastated. I want to know if I should be preparing her to give up her beloved Mindy.

    Background: The chickens are black australorps. About 9 weeks old. The chicken in question does not have 'spurs'. Obviously hasn't crowed (or I'd have my answer, right?)

    Please examine and give me your input!!

    [​IMG]
    This is the chicken in question. The comb isn't overly large like I've seen on some early roo pics around here.

    [​IMG]
    You can see the sorta long tail feathers in this picture. No "saddle" feathers that I can tell. But what do I know? [​IMG]


    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure if that tail is just sort of an "in between" filling out phase that I'm seeing or a rooster tail in the making. This chicken has always been a wee bit smaller than the other.

    I feel like I've messed around with the funky cold medina. Is it a cockerel or a pullet? PLEASE BE A PULLET MINDY PLEASE BE A PULLET![​IMG]
     
  2. dsqard

    dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

    5,312
    211
    311
    Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    How old is the chicken? Right now I am not seeing anything that is screaming roo. Can you get a better side picture?
    ETA - Sorry I am an idiot, just saw that the chicken is 9 weeks old. I would definitely say pullet! [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  3. Cowgirl71

    Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,176
    56
    221
    Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    For 9 weeks old it's got quite a bit of pink on it's face... But there's still hope for Mindy! I'd guess 70% chance of rooster and 30% chance of pullet.

    Did you buy him/her/it as a sexed pullet?
     
  4. teach1rusl

    teach1rusl Love My Chickens

    Just went back to look at my June Bug's 9 wk. pictures. She looks about the same as your Mindy, so I'd say pullet. I zoomed in on my pic and saw pink comb and reddening of the wattle area...

    [​IMG]
     
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  5. KIDDSBANTAMS

    KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

    352
    0
    121
    Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    Need a better all side pic, that is a lot of pink in the comb and wattles though, so I would be thinking the same thing.
     
  6. schellie69

    schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    It does not scream rooster to me. I had 2 Austrolorps last year I would wait and see. Maybe a picture of the top showing the head to the tail and see if we can see some hackle or saddle feathers. Also don't look at the feathers just under the head around the neck those are pointy even on pullets I found out the hard way when I panicked at thought that my 2 sex link pullets where roosters because those feathers where pointy until I looked at all my chickens and noticed that they all had some pointy feathers around the face and neck area.
     
  7. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

    NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

    62
    0
    39
    Mar 17, 2011
    I have to get to a doc appt. I will take some side pics when I get home. THANKS so much. Please come back and check out the new pics. You guys are awesome. [​IMG]
     
  8. NoSleepTillBrooklyn

    NoSleepTillBrooklyn Out Of The Brooder

    62
    0
    39
    Mar 17, 2011
    Here are some more side pics (as best I can do, they move pretty quick!)
    [​IMG]
    This is Mindy's back

    [​IMG]
    This is as from the side as it gets. She is in the front. She is usually the more friendly and curious one. Which is also what concerns me.

    Gah!!!!

    Help!![​IMG]
     
  9. lady feathers

    lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

    292
    0
    99
    Nov 29, 2010
    I'd say pullet..........my roo is almost 5 weeks and has a comb 3x that size and wattles are about 1/4 inch long. Could be a late bloomer but I think you are safe with "Mindy".
     
  10. sawmane1

    sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

    343
    1
    113
    Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    that last pic, in my opinion, comfermed pulet.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by