Oh when, oh when will they start laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknjane, Sep 13, 2009.

1. chicknjane

chicknjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    Pine Grove, PA
    The waiting, the anticipation . . . its so painful for the control freak in me.

I have (5) 20 week old pullets (2) orpingtons, (2) red sexlinks, and (1) Wyandotte. I thought the sexlinks at least would have started laying by now, but nothing. I think I read somewhere that orpingtons and wyandottes were slow to mature.

They are house mates with (1) 20 week old Delaware Roo, (1) 18 week old Wyandotte Roo (who hasn't started showing interest in the girls), (1) year old Blk Australorp hen who just started laying after separating from her last hatch; and (6) 8 week old barred rocks (2) roos (4) pullets. They have a 8 X12 coop and a 50' X 25' enclosed run. They are all still on the grower crumble until they start laying.

Someone suggested they might be stressed by the attentions of the Alpha Roo, but he's only interested in the Australorp because she is so 'easy' and as she's laying.

Is there anything I can do to encourage them to start laying? I thought they might get the hint with the Australorp doing it, but not yet. I'm probably just being really impatient,

2. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    I've thrown in golf balls in to the nest but i'm convinced that i've raised a bunch of freeloaders!!!

3. happi752

happi752 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Casa Grande
    my buff orpingtons did not start to lay until they were 32 weeks old. then the eggs were small but lots had double yolks.

4. whenchickensdream

whenchickensdream Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    We have 2 bantie hens that started to lay at 16 weeks and now at 17 weeks we are getting 16 eggs a day from 56 hens. I was so shocked that they laid eggs that soon (although we got the banties at Tractor Supply so they were probably a bit older). Hopefully soon you will have the fun of collected eggs.

5. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    my redsex links didnt start until 20 and 21 weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by