oh, why wont they all lay in the nesting boxes? sigh...

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Mine were all laying in the nest box (which has golf balls in it). One day they apparently moved a golf ball up over the lip of the box, halfway across the coop floor and down the ramp (putt-putt golf apparently). Since then, I've found eggs on the coop floor rather than the box. I thought they were laying them there, but now I think one of my EEs is moving the eggs out of the box. She better not roll those down the ramp!
I think "because they're chickens" is probably the only good answer to your question.
hmm.png

Yay Chicks! :

Mine were all laying in the nest box (which has golf balls in it). One day they apparently moved a golf ball up over the lip of the box, halfway across the coop floor and down the ramp (putt-putt golf apparently). Since then, I've found eggs on the coop floor rather than the box. I thought they were laying them there, but now I think one of my EEs is moving the eggs out of the box. She better not roll those down the ramp!
I think "because they're chickens" is probably the only good answer to your question.
hmm.png

I put a two inch lip on the bottom front of my nest boxes just so that wouldn't happen by mistake or otherwise. Love the putt-putt comment. LOL!!!​

Maybe if you provide them with a super-sneaky place to put their eggs that those dumb humans won't know ANYTHING about...like a milk crate in some dark corner, that, oh, you just happen to check every day, that will satisfy their little rebellious hearts. An alternative zone for your sneaky chickens.

Also, x2 on the putting in fake eggs.

Good luck!
tongue.png

My hens roll the fake eggs out of the nest boxes and usually out of the door. Then they line up to do all of their laying in the nest they built under the nest boxes, literally, lined up and waiting. 10-12 eggs a day int he same nest. Very occasionally I will find one in a nest box. Good thing they are adorable...

I, fortunately, have a lot of golf balls since my shots end up in places that are excellent hunting grounds for lost ones. Consequently I put 2 or 3 in each of my 8 nesting boxes. Thus far, with 6/10 April birds finally laying, all have managed to hit a box--4/8 are being used. I did find a few golf balls tossed out--and I have a 4 inch lip on the front of the nests--so somebody may be getting ready to hide eggs.

Sounds like your girls don't want to fight overthe same box..thats good
smile.png

10yrs ago I never thought/imagined I'd be using my best new boxs of Titleist balls for this
lol.png

Kicking them out is a sign they want to hide em? or maybe, they just don't want anyone elses junk in "their" box?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom