OH WOW! Trader Joe eggs, need advice!!!!!

bzbrown

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Twentynine Palms, California
I have four eggs set from a local byc'er that are developing nicely.

Last week (the 16th) I bought some Trader Joe eggs. They were 10 days old at the time (newest in the store). I put 10 in my new homemade incubator, and 2 in my trusty proven homemade incubator.

I candle often, and NOTHING was happening other than yolk with the new incubator eggs, and nothing but yolk with the trusty incubator. Yesterday I cut off the old incubator, I figured the eggs were too old, and that was that. I even gave a couple to my dogs.

Just now I candled the known fertiles to check on the chicks, and decided to candle the 2 TJ eggs in with them. THEY VEINED! THEY VEINED! HEARTBEATS AND MOVEMENT! I am beside myself with amazement. My son and husband were with me at the candling and we are just all delighted!!!!!!

So, what am I supposed to do? The new incubator would probably make a fine hatcher for the local eggs. Or should I turn it back on and see if the 10 TJ eggs in it (just yolk) might come up?

I am just so in awe right now! My son and husband used this opportunity to remind me, I should just leave eggs until after hatch date and not give up. Point taken. AND WOW!

Opinions, Tips, Advice?

Also, is their set date then the date I put them in? It was exactly 1 week ago. I guess I may have missed development because in my mind I gave up. So I just go with the set date right? I just made a new brooder last week, anticipating a hatch. I have a few going back to their local mama if she has room, but if not I've got the new brooder and can build a pen and coop while they are in the brooder. I'm just.......................WOW tonight.

They've only been in there a week? *Smacks hands* THAT'S why they say candle at day 10.
tongue.png
(I do NOT take my own advice by the way but I'd never toss/turn off that early.)

Turn the other 'bator back on and give those eggies a chance. You might be pleasantly surprised and if nothing develops you can still use it as a hatcher if you want too.
smile.png

Good luck with all your eggs.
fl.gif

Quote:
My son said something very similar to me waiting until the hatch date to give up on eggs. I can't even believe I let them go after a week! It is a major face palm moment for me.

My husband turned back on the bator. I still can't believe this! The first clutch we had I'm pretty sure we had them in there for 30 days, so I'm not sure what came over me, but I am for sure I am getting the slack for it around the house from my 8 year old son LOL.

And to the previous poster, YUPPERS Trader Joes sells fertile eggs, do a search in the backyardchickens search engine for more info on that!

I have a pullet that Meg hatched last summer from TJ eggs. I had a pair but gave up the roo. I call her Josephine. I suppose to most she looks like your common everyday Leghorn, but to me she's gorgeous and I'm expecting a little pullet egg from her any day now!

Quote:
It was about 24 hours, the eggs were very cold, but prior to then I'd been turning them and monitoring their heat, just figured it was something about either them being too old, my my construction needing a look over.

Quote:
It was about 24 hours, the eggs were very cold, but prior to then I'd been turning them and monitoring their heat, just figured it was something about either them being too old, my my construction needing a look over.

that's not a deal breaker.. people have had power outages longer than that & still had limited success... don't give up
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom