ohboy. Um, help?

Helanaii

Songster
9 Years
Aug 28, 2013
Heyo! So I wound up with two unwanted guinea chicks.. One was on the brink of death and was saved, but now he has some... Mental problems. And the other is completely blind with pink bulging eyes. I'm trying to feed the revived one scrambled eggs. Well, he's trying to eat, but pecking in the opposite direction. How would I feed the little bugger? Currently I just have these two, and I don't have time to drag the heat lamp down from the coop at the moment, on the run. Is there any hope for these two fighters? Can anyone give me helpful advice? They are about a day or two old, and they've been struggling for survival.

Quite a bit of care I guess, but heck, I'll do it if I have to. A friend had a blind chicken that lived a very long time, who knows what'll happen!

Maybe You should have 2 plates so when she pecks in the opposite direction she gets the otherside?
I hope these little guys get well soon and they survive through all this!
Your great for keeping them!
Get well soon and I wish you all the good luck! :cd

That would be helpful, but she's pecking up instead of down, or vis versa :/ Thank you much! They made it through the night!

Please keep me updated on the little guys health
263a.png

Well, the blind chick is lively as ever, able to eat and drink on its own! Unfortunately the chick I thought was going to make it, is suddenly kicking the bucket as we speak. It's going into spasms and has an irregular heart beat. When I was looking at it, the umbilical cord stump became infected, it probably won't last another hour. I tried my best to keep the little guy going, he's just not going to make it. This is going to be really hard for the blind chick. It's only friend won't be there anymore to guide him around to food and water, provide company, and keep him warm. I do have a heat lamp set up though, I just don't know what I'm going to do about it now. I have school for 8 hours, and I work tomorrow so I won't be home for at least 13 hours. :/ I have no idea what I'm going to do, or how to help this guy.

I would recommend antibiotics for both chicks. I've seen some very ' blown out ' eyes come back to normal after using Terramycin eye ointment, that is if this is upper respiratory related. From what you describe it's probably too late for the one with infected umbilical . Betadine rinse and Terramycin applied to the area may have helped. Human antibiotic eyedrops will do the trick if you have any in the bathroom cabinet. Keep the chick in a confined space in a bowl of feed and hang a shallow water dish on the side. When you get home throw the soiled feed out and start again. Just remember that chicks drown in very little water.

Thank you! The swelling in the chicks eyes have been going down dramatically on their own, I almost wonder if the other chicks it was hatched with didn't just peck at it. I'll give it a whirl with the eyes though! As for the infected chick, it passed moments ago in my hands. I figured it was too late when I saw it tonight, it looked healthy as heck last night, thank you for the advice!!! Appreciate it!

Thank you! The swelling in the chicks eyes have been going down dramatically on their own, I almost wonder if the other chicks it was hatched with didn't just peck at it. I'll give it a whirl with the eyes though! As for the infected chick, it passed moments ago in my hands. I figured it was too late when I saw it tonight, it looked healthy as heck last night, thank you for the advice!!! Appreciate it!

My pleasure. This site has the eye ointment and if you navigate your way round it you will find that they also have water soluable antibiotics for use in poultry.
They also have vetericyne , another handy first aid essential. Sorry about the other little guy.

http://www.jefferspet.com/products/...849f9fa2600f00000346/5338849f9fa2600f0000034f

Back
Top Bottom