Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
Aubrey, I have scaled way back on my phoenix projects. I am only going to keep my Ismer birds going now. I have decided to focus mainly on the Ohiki. I did make a couple crosses and am getting some blues in the Ohiki now so I hopefully will have those soon!
Here is a pic of the "in progress" blue. Definitely would not call him an Ohiki yet but he is actually about 62.5% Ohiki. Next couple of matings should make a big difference.

Here is a pic of the "in progress" blue. Definitely would not call him an Ohiki yet but he is actually about 62.5% Ohiki. Next couple of matings should make a big difference.

Yes, he is a beautiful color! Keep us updated on how the project comes along.. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

yep Travis, really love the color you have going on him. With a little more work you'll have those looking great. Already has a decent shape to him, just need to fatten him out and a little feather tweeking and he'll be there. As Toni would say, easy stuff! haha
Good luck with those, keep me posted on them, I always love seeing them

Ended up hatching 72 out of 80 this weekend Toni !! Those new girls have been some egg laying machines. Making pretty good chicks too for that matter. Had a lot of barred, various gingers, duckwings and the mottled stuff for the most part . Really excited about them. Hope to get a few really good ones grown out of them for next year.

Setting up a crele pen next week Chuck with that better project male to some of the bb's. With some luck I hope to get those going down here too. I love a barred bird. The one with the most color should take too much more, add some color and shorten the legs a bit....

Well that all for now..

Great...I'm glad there getting out there...Aubrey you have lots to work with now with all those last girls also... That way about mid winter you can do lots of culling and now to...I've culled about 400 so far...Looks like I'll maybe be keeping about 60 Ohiki from this years hatch. ....Then by spring I cull again down to half of those too....I had so many culls I just gave them to my feed store lady as mixed breed bantams...I do the same with Phoenix also...If there is just the slightest thing with them there out of here...You have to be that way when it comes to culling chicks and birds. The only bad thing is that we will get long legs, short legs and med legs...all the other things are all gone. It looks like there finished and ready for the public....I think to start we can do like Jap bantam people do and let a trio go and have 1 very short leg and 1 med leg and 1 long leg in the bunch...Now that I got more of the non molter stuff blended in.... Still a little tweaking here and there but there pretty much done... But people will have to realize that you will get some with long tails and some with not that much of one...Just like in phoenix...They can work that out just as you would with a phoenix flock....TM

Ended up hatching 72 out of 80 this weekend Toni !! Those new girls have been some egg laying machines. Making pretty good chicks too for that matter. Had a lot of barred, various gingers, duckwings and the mottled stuff for the most part . Really excited about them. Hope to get a few really good ones grown out of them for next year.

Setting up a crele pen next week Chuck with that better project male to some of the bb's. With some luck I hope to get those going down here too. I love a barred bird. The one with the most color should take too much more, add some color and shorten the legs a bit....

Well that all for now..

That's good Aubrey!
That's about all I have been hatching is Barred and some from Crele. My chicks from my Crele keep dieing so I am going to switch some hens around and see if that helps any. The Crele chicks when they hatch has been the size of quail chicks so I would love to get some that small! I also got some of the non-moulting blood started in my Barreds so you know I will be adding that in my Crele project.
big_smile.png

Chuck I'm going to be putting my best Barr male in with a couple of my best BB Red hens...I'm only doing the cross because of the bloodline and not for barring. So If some good barred/crele birds come out your more than welcome to have those...TM

Back
Top Bottom