Ohio Chicken Laws

The laws are city by city. In Columbus there is a post that says you can have them if you go through the proper steps. Every city or community has different zoning laws. I live in a small town in Licking County just east of Columbus and the laws says they don't allow Chicken husbandry. We sent a letter to the Village challenging that we were not in husbandry as that by definition is farming for profit. We are simple the owner of Chickens as pets. We never heard back. The other laws that we ran into were the permit to have the coop. You may also have to check with the municipality on the rules for outdoor sheds or structures. BTW our girls are now 5 months old and we are getting 5 beautiful brown eggs everyday. We love our girls.
Good Luck!

Your sister should talk to the OSU county extension office in her county.

She should also check the court house to see what the land use laws are for the area her house is in. Agriculture is the number one economy in Ohio, (#2 here in Ashtabula County where I am) but that doesn't mean you can have chickens where you are.

This past February, the city of Cleveland passed a law allowing 3 hens and 2 beehives for city lot owners. So it pays to check what the current laws are for her area.

Hiya - Here are some Beavercreek rules which are found on their website:

Bookmark§ 91.02 ANIMALS AT LARGE.

(A) No person, being the owner of or having charge of horses, mules, cattle, swine, sheep, goats, geese, ducks, turkeys, chickens or other fowl or animals, shall allow the same to run at large on any public street or upon any unenclosed land within the corporate limits of the city.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

(R.C. § 951.02) (Ord. 80-26, § 613.03, passed 5-12-80) Penalty, see § 130.99
Bookmark§ 91.03 OFFENSIVE ODORS AND SUBSTANCES.

(A) No person shall erect, use or maintain any building, structure or place for the exercise of any animal, or occupy any dwelling, which, by occasioning noxious smells, exhalation of noisome or offensive smells, becomes injurious to the health, comfort or property of individuals or the public, or causes or suffers any offal, filth or noisome substance to be collected or remain in places to the damage or prejudice of others, or to the public.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

(Ord. 80-26, § 613.04, passed 5-12-80) Penalty, see § 130.99

The state law has nothing to do with the city law. You can buy some chicks from a home breeder or split them with someone else who wants to get started. I see a lot of stuff posted on Craigslist.org

I would ask neighbors how they feel. Offer to share eggs and make sure that smells, noises (no roos) and flies are kept down. Then call the city to verify but they look legal to me.

I have a blog: http://www.daytoncluckcluck.blogspot.com/

Please
post there how it goes!

I have heard that to from TSC.Not an issue if you are starting out and have none,but I already had 3 and just wanted 3 more! My local feed store AGLAND will sell less than 6 during their spring order time.

Quote:
Try My Pet Chicken.com, they sell as few as three and you can pick and choose.

The laws are city by city.  In Columbus there is a post that says you can have them if you go through the proper steps.  Every city or community has different zoning laws.  I live in a small town in Licking County just east of Columbus and the laws says they don't allow Chicken husbandry.  We sent a letter to the Village challenging that we were not in husbandry as that by definition is farming for profit.  We are simple the owner of Chickens as pets.  We never heard back.  The other laws that we ran into were the permit to have the coop.  You may also have to check with the municipality on the rules for outdoor sheds or structures.  BTW our girls are now 5 months old and we are getting 5 beautiful brown eggs everyday.  We love our girls.

Good Luck!

I believe I live in the same area. After contacting zoning, I received this email which is an excerpt from a lawyer the zoning officer contacted for advice. It reads:
(1) Agriculture on lots of one acre or less;

(2) Buildings or structures incident to the use of land for agricultural
purposes on lots greater than one acre but not greater than five acres
by: set back building lines; height; and size;

(3) Dairying and animal and poultry husbandry on lots greater than one
acre but not greater than five acres when at least thirty-five per cent
of the lots in the subdivision are developed with at least one building,
structure, or improvement that is subject to real property taxation or
that is subject to the tax on manufactured and mobile homes under
section 4503.06 of the Revised Code.

The authority provided in R.C. 519.21 is not self-executing. Rather, the
Trustees must specifically adopt zoning amendments/regulations
addressing "agriculture" and how it will be regulated on the specified
properties.

It is my understanding that the Granville Township Zoning Resolution
does not currently regulate "agriculture" as in accordance with R.C.
519.21. As a result, the property owner that has approached you may
keep the hens on her property.

(Whether or not the property owner is subject to deed restrictions,
etc., which would prohibit the keeping of hens, is a separate matter.
And as you are aware, there is no authority for the township zoning
inspector, or the prosecutor's office, to enforce deed restrictions and
the like.)

When we were looking for a house to purchase last year, we found that Beavercreek (City) did not allow chickens. Townships are zoned and regulated differently, so chickens may be allowed on some properties in Beavercreek Township.

Back
Top Bottom