OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

We're on a small farm property in northwest Montgomery county, in the North Clayton area. We currently have a flock of 17 chickens which I plan to expand to about 25 before winter hits. We have 3 acres and are surrounded by about 70 acres of farmland. We free range 100% and have not had any issues with predators (sometimes the hawks "stalk" but have never attacked) and I think part of that is because we have a very large and protective columbian rooster (he killed a crow not too long ago.)

Next year we plan on expanding our property to support turkeys, goats and perhaps some alpacas. Would love to hear what other folks in the area are using in terms of sources for farm products including animals, feed, supplies and other equipment like fence materials.

Thanks!
R-

welcome-byc.gif
, Shelterfarm!

I am in Greenville-Darke County, almost at the Indiana line. We called our local electric co-op (Darke Rural Electric) and asked them for old telephone poles when they are being replaced with new ones. We got free fence posts AND they even dropped them off when they were working nearby!
thumbsup.gif

We're on a small farm property in northwest Montgomery county, in the North Clayton area. We currently have a flock of 17 chickens which I plan to expand to about 25 before winter hits. We have 3 acres and are surrounded by about 70 acres of farmland. We free range 100% and have not had any issues with predators (sometimes the hawks "stalk" but have never attacked) and I think part of that is because we have a very large and protective columbian rooster (he killed a crow not too long ago.)

Next year we plan on expanding our property to support turkeys, goats and perhaps some alpacas. Would love to hear what other folks in the area are using in terms of sources for farm products including animals, feed, supplies and other equipment like fence materials.

Thanks!
R-
Your rooster killed a CROW!?? Wow! That is impressive! This may sound morbid, but I would have loved to have seen him in action...what a good boy!

I'm still trying to figure out the best fit for me when it comes to guard duty. I have alot of bold coyotes and tons of raccoons. No losses yet (Praise God) and I want my stats to stay that way! I tried a puppy that was sure to grow into an awesome LGD but quickly learned that my judgment was poor on that one - gave her away to be a pampered family dog...so now I'm hedging between llama (my property is entirely fenced in) or a REAL LGD...although the thoughts of maybe losing a chicken or two in the training process does not appeal to me. Any ideas??

Oh! Best starter-chickens? Silkies, of course! And I just happen to have a PLETHORA of chicks/eggs available!
celebrate.gif
For layers I just love my Buff Orp - gentle, loves attention and consistently lays monster brown eggs. Barred Rock for the same reason...and you have to have a few EE for a dash of color...

Glad you chimed in, JoshU. I was just about to mention that you're up in that area. So what kind of chickens would you recommend to a someone new to chickens in the Toledo area? ;)

I guess that depends on want and needs from chickens. If you want a decent amount of eggs and a delicious meat then I suggest the buckeye. They were designed to thrive in ohio. Only breed developed by a woman as well. What buckeye farm would be complete without them? They are also one of of he friendliest breeds as well.

Last edited:
I live north of Marysville, west of Marion. I got my first chickens at the end of May. 6 of them and all different. I hoped to use this flock as a way to find out what I would like best. Well So far I like them all. lol I have 1 each of the following; golden comet, silver lacey wyndot, coo coo maran, buff orpington, black austalorp and an easter egger. The easter egger is my friendlist and boldest. She's normally the first to do or try anything. where ever she goes the rest follow. And I love her beard
smile.png
No eggs yet. Hope to see some in the next 3 or 4 weeks.
I was thinking of adding to my flock this Feb/March. Anyone here ever raise salmon favorelles, barred rocks or speckled sussex? All input welcome.

I live north of Marysville, west of Marion. I got my first chickens at the end of May. 6 of them and all different. I hoped to use this flock as a way to find out what I would like best. Well So far I like them all. lol I have 1 each of the following; golden comet, silver lacey wyndot, coo coo maran, buff orpington, black austalorp and an easter egger. The easter egger is my friendlist and boldest. She's normally the first to do or try anything. where ever she goes the rest follow. And I love her beard
smile.png
No eggs yet. Hope to see some in the next 3 or 4 weeks.
I was thinking of adding to my flock this Feb/March. Anyone here ever raise salmon favorelles, barred rocks or speckled sussex? All input welcome.
I can't seem to keep barred rocks or salmon favs...everyone else wants them too...LOL I DO have a couple Speckled Sussex pullets available right now tho. My favorites are Silkies, Cochins, and anything that lays an odd colored egg (I like "rainbow layers")

Hello fellow Buckeyes! I have just started my journey with backyard chickens. I am gathering all the info I can possibly get. I live in Toledo. Any one else around my area?

I'm near Toledo! I'm still in the 'gathering' phase. Sometime early next spring I'm hoping to get some chickens rolling!

Your rooster killed a CROW!?? Wow! That is impressive! This may sound morbid, but I would have loved to have seen him in action...what a good boy!

Yeah - it was pretty brutal. Best I can tell my Colombian roo caught him off guard while he was stealing food from the chickens - that was the major "feather explosion" site.

He's a very protective roo and really "patrols" well - anytime there is a "visitor" he runs over to them and conducts a show of force. Although he's good, I don't risk it at night and lock the coop up.

Back
Top Bottom