OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Big Medicine,is there a way to identify Brahma cockerel by the comb?? I have one acting simular to an EE cockerel. and tips will be very very appreciated. So far I have Fester,Gomez and Lurch is a banty.Lol!!

SilkieBanty

Anyone near Frankfort,Chillicothe,Greenfield, interested in some chicks? I have 8 day old chicks I hatched from my flock. 1 silkie and 6 banty mix chicks

Last edited:
What size coop?

It's an enclosed coop and run 8' x 16' feet total. The coop it's self will be 8x6 with the remainder as the run. We already had the foundation finished. We got the main supports and the frame of the roof done yesterday that covers the entire structure. If we hadn't been dodging rain we would've made it a lot farther. The goal for today is to finish the roof and get the floor of the coop section in and the wall for that framed. Fingers crossed Mother Nature cooperates a little more today!

I have a surplus of chicks to sell, ages 8 weeks down to hatching now. These are from my Rainbow layer flock & can lay any color egg, but mostly blue, green & olive. There are also a few Polish mixes, Silkie mixes & Polish/Silkies available. I have a few Ancona ducks available as well. I also have a pair of American buff geese for sale. 1 stray nubian buck in the mix as well as a rex rabbit buck, all for sale. I am cleaning out pens & cages in preparation for a move in the next month. Please PM me for pix & prices if interested in any of the critters I have listed.

Big Medicine,is there a way to identify Brahma cockerel by the comb?? I have one acting simular to an EE cockerel. and tips will be very very appreciated. So far I have Fester,Gomez and Lurch is a banty.Lol!!

I pay little to no attention to comb as an aide to forecasting sex on Brahmas. Being a pea combed breed there is not near as much comb development to gauge as say a single combed bird.
I tend to go by a couple other signs.

As they grow, the pullets will feather in much more evenly and fully. The cockerels go through a phase where as they feather in they are bare shouldered, and tend to grow in tail feathers at a later age than the pullets.

From the start cockerels tend to have a more upright stance. Pullets tend to stand with a more parallel to the floor body posture.

Cockerels tend to have heavier legs and bigger feet.

Back
Top Bottom