OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Just ordered my first batch of jersey giants
thumbsup.gif
i ordered 10 hens 1 roo and 5 free range.im wanting to stick with one breed,so if anyone is interested i have a barred rock hen lays good a barred rooster a ee hen and a ee roo,you can have them all for fivebucks.

Just ordered my first batch of jersey giants
thumbsup.gif
i ordered 10 hens 1 roo and 5 free range.im wanting to stick with one breed,so if anyone is interested i have a barred rock hen lays good a barred rooster a ee hen and a ee roo,you can have them all for fivebucks.

You've peaked my interest!! I'm going to have to check out the Jersey Giant breed! Congrats on your new flock!!!

Hi peeps! I am just north and east of Cincinnati by stonelick lake. My grandparents had chickens so hey, it's in my genes. I bought six little peepers, bought a paw...something coup with a area below it and on both sides that is wired in for them to sun. It has little square wire on it, but there are prediters out here in the woods so I've reinforced with tiny square wire and chicken wire. No fingers are going to get in there! Anyway, I'm still buildingtis thing but I took a break to see about the temp. For my brood. I bought a baby monitor so I van hear them but at the moment, they are in my bathroom. I will post pics later on. For now, hopefully I have it under control.

Yes jersey giants are huge! Make sure to find a breeder, most hatchery stock is not very good. mine from hatchery ate same size or smaller than barred rocks. Blue jersey giants areon next years list.

Same here! I haven't been on in over a week, and I've missed a lot! Looks like there are a lot chicks being hatched!! We just set up the maran breeding pen this past weekend. Hopefully we will start getting eggs soon as since we penned them, no eggs. I understand it takes about 5 weeks to get "pure" eggs, but I still want my eggs! :) Hope every ones spring is going wonderfully! Just to update on the fox issue. We did trap one. It was caught by the leg though, so DH had to shoot it. It had a dead hen with it!!! :mad: It was one that escaped the coop on Monday. We had to leave it out, because we needed to get to work. Here is a pic of the fox. And btw, :welcome to all the new folks!
Good job. I struggled with a fox last year never did trap it but didnt try a keg trap cause ofbarn cats.

Good job. I struggled with a fox last year never did trap it but didnt try a keg trap cause ofbarn cats.

Well, we didn't use a leg trap either. It was a snare trap and we aren't sure how it just got its leg caught. I worry about our mini-schnauzer getting in one, but she is gun shy, so since she was there when DH shot the fox, she doesn't go near the trap, even when we are with her.

Back
Top Bottom