OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I wouldn't give the folks in Johnstown anything at all ever.

That said, I don't know where to get that small amount in live chicks. You could incubate, or I have some first year pullets that just started laying (I am in Coshocton). The only pure breds I have are Barred Rocks.

I have 82 birds and am thinking about dropping to about 50, but not in any real hurry.

As far as mulch, I wouldn't but that is just me. I use shredded leaves, hay, straw or shavings.

Hi all!  I am sort of new to this forum and just found my way to the Ohio page!  We live in SW Ohio.  Anyone have any hatching eggs in the NKY/Cincy/DAY area? 

We have SPR eggs out of Dick Horstman stock. They are beautiful and friendly birds. We are about 40 minutes north of Dayton. Feel free to message me if you are interested.

We just lost our rooster to a hawk attack so I'm going to have to rescind that egg offer for now.

So since my lil darlings are due to arrive early February I'm calling around to get feed prices.

A wonderful person earlier in the thread had posted a few Co-Ops etc to possibly get things cheaper. I called around. This is what I got. Hopefully this will help give others options (outside of TSC!)

ALL 50LBS

CountryLine -Pemberville OH
Purina- starter, medicated 17.75
Purina- Layer Granulated-17.55
Purina- Pellets- 17.15

CO-OP Service - Ida, MI
Purina 21% Medicated -14.50
17% Grower, Small Pellets-13.50
Own Mix, 16% Layer, Small Pellets-14.00

Masserant's- Lambertville, MI ( I didn't call another store, but there are several)
Purina- starter, medicated- 16.95
Country Acres- 16%, Layer- 14.25
Country Acres-16%, Grower- 15.50

Monroe Feeds- Monroe, MI
Buckeye- 17.00
He recommends Turkey Starter vs Chick starter - anyone heard of this? Seriously nice guy said to stay clear of Dumor (all my TSC has!) and Hubbard
Said he could also order me in a "Triumph" Medicated Chick Starter if that's what I wanted to go with. Buckeye brand seems pricier, but honestly this guy was awesome. I'm thinking of driving up there just for the knowledge!

Oaks Feed- Toledo,OH
Prince Brand - layer crumbles and pellets -17.95

J&B Feed -Swanton, OH
OWN MIX- Layer, 14%, MASH- 14.50

Luckey Farmers, Lemoyne (just outside Perrysburg, OH)
OWN MIX- Broiler starter for 8 weeks -15.33
OWN MIX- Layer Mash- 13.60

Anyone care to share what they feed and where they get it from? I'm located just outside of Toledo, OH. Also, anyone have a guess how much feed 15 chicks are going to go through? How long does a 50lb bag last your layers?

I'm getting more and more excited by the day!!

*editing for more updating/adding info*

Last edited:
hello i am in swanton ohio LOVE MY CHICKENS
Welcome!! :) Glad you found us.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom