OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Not chicken related really but we had a litter of six Bushland Terriers tonight! Bushlands are Cairn/Scottie crosses.If anyone is looking for nice, small but tough breed that is great at catching vermin (without being hyper like a JRT) around the barnyard, message me! Mom and Dad are here and family pets. Thanks all!

Thanks for the well wishes. I have a question for you OHIO folks. Has anyone hatched in March? If so, where do you keep your brooder? The last time I got chicks, it was in June and the garage was appropriate. This time I am thinking that it may be too cold? Any advice? I am thinking that I have a room in the basement that is finished, that for some reason, no one is inclined to use, and I could probably put them in there, but I am not sure if that would be ideal? I could then move them out to the garage in April or so when they need more space.

Thanks for the well wishes. I have a question for you OHIO folks. Has anyone hatched in March? If so, where do you keep your brooder? The last time I got chicks, it was in June and the garage was appropriate. This time I am thinking that it may be too cold? Any advice? I am thinking that I have a room in the basement that is finished, that for some reason, no one is inclined to use, and I could probably put them in there, but I am not sure if that would be ideal? I could then move them out to the garage in April or so when they need more space.

I begin hatching in March. My brooder is a 5x10 utility trailer boxed in with plywood with a mesh and tarp top and a door cut into the side. I use it to brood and also to transport birds and hog to processing. The 2x4's on top hold my 5 gallon bucket nipple waterers and usually 1 heat lamp. In March I put it in the garage and raise them for 4 weeks before they go outside, sometimes 5. These are meat birds, layers sometimes take extra time, but the brooder is more than adequate. I do raise by the 100 so that may have something to do with it, but my birds don't spend a lot of time under the heat even when it is 30-40 degree daytime highs.

Welcome, Jmurph!! And also welcome to hatch-a-holics anonymous...
jumpy.gif

I usually have 2 'bators and assorted broodies going 12 months out of the year. In the winter/spring my dining room becomes my nursery. I have 11 silkie/showgirls that were hatched out in Jan in there now along with 4 little Feb silkies. The older ones are almost feathered out so they will head to the garage (insulated) in about a month...conveniently when my Olive Eggers and more silkies are due to hatch and take their place in the dining room. The transition to being brooded in the garage full time usually takes place in late April or May...and my dining room is reclaimed by furniture! Although this year the table and chairs are hitting CL...dining rooms are seriously overrated...
gig.gif

I ordered 7 chicks from Meyer this past December. Put them in a brooder in the side room of my attached garage. It IS heated, but not extravagantly heated. Most days it was in the 50's in there, even when they were tiny. I am in NW Ohio and it definitely was COLD the past 8 weeks! I also went in and out of that room to the driveway many times a day, (since we were building the coop in the bays of the garage and my car was outside in the driveway because of it), so they were exposed to cold, but not drafts. I am new to this chicken thing, but am a firm believer in not coddling them since I think too much coddling will make them weak, not hardy. They moved outside to the coop this past weekend at 8 weeks old. With that being said, I DID give them warm oatmeal for breakfast this morning! Definitely not coddling AT ALL! Ha!

Back
Top Bottom