OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Good morning all! I've just come back to Ohio after living on the Space Coast of Florida for the last 25 years. I was born in Newark, graduated from Heath and lived all over the place in between (dad was a civilian government agent). I'm now in Bettsville in Seneca County and loving every minute of it! I'm new to chickens but have been doing my homework for the last couple years to make sure I was ready to take care of our little fuzzballs lol I'm now happy to say we are the proud family to six Isa Browns and six Rhode Island Reds!!!

Welcome Kourtnie!
I'm just next door to your place of birth here in Granville. Good luck with your flock!!

My baby Olive Eggers!!
4 days old. They move too fast to get a good picture.

Too cute!!!

Our eggs are coming now!!! So happy! 6 yesterday & 3 today from the 10 girls. I think the only one not laying is one of the EE.
It was so pretty today. The girls were out having the best time bugging dh while he was breaking in a new garden with the pick axe! They couldn't get enough of the worms & grubs. Some of them nearly lost their heads though diving for them right in the path of the falling axe! Silly hens!

Now I'm thinking of adding (darn chicken math) to the flock. I think I want 2 Swedish flowers and 2 Marans or silkies. Anyone know where to get started pullets or perhaps day olds?

Anyone in sw Ohio with any chicks for sale? I am open to any, looking for good egg layer breeds. None of my eggs hatched from my rainbow eggs so I've decided to go with just getting chicks.

I jsut got a flyer for a Poultry Fest on May 11,2013 from 9 - 5 by Ohio Heritage Farms in Ashtabula County. They will be having a ton of free seminars on Raising waterfowl, Breeding, NPIP rep and OBA. Free food and refreshments, etc. I have spoken with a gentleman that is hosting some of this and it sounds like it will be aweseome!!!! They will also have a spring chick sale from multi-vendors. If you want a copy of the flier let me know and i can scan it over to you!

Anyone want to meet up there?

Took the kids to the fancy feather club swap meet in Eaton this past weekend and we had a blast! We are relatively new to raising BYC and would never have believed raising chickens could be this much fun!!! Originally had 6 chickens until one was taken by a fox the other week. Decided it was time to try our hand at a rooster. We picked up a gorgeous 1 yr old Amaracauna and 3 more hens, and they have completely changed the flock!! My kids also have been changed forever.. lol.. Ole Brewster (the new rooster) came home and went straight to work!!! If you would have told me raising chickens would be this much fun I would have told you to go jump in a lake!! Looking forward to lots of eggs and entertainment this year!

I know this is all about chickens, but I thought you might enjoy a respite and see the Loinwizard in action, live from New York.... then I found out some podunk farmer had dubbed my fine production with piglets.... anyhow... here it is....

Last edited:
Took the kids to the fancy feather club swap meet in Eaton this past weekend and we had a blast!  We are relatively new to raising BYC and would never have believed raising chickens could be this much fun!!!  Originally had 6 chickens until one was taken by a fox the other week.  Decided it was time to try our hand at a rooster.  We picked up a gorgeous 1 yr old Amaracauna  and 3 more hens, and they have completely changed the flock!!  My kids also have been changed forever.. lol..  Ole Brewster (the new rooster) came home and went straight to work!!!   If you would have told me raising chickens would be this much fun I would have told you to go jump in a lake!!  Looking forward to lots of eggs and entertainment this year!

Glad to hear you are loving your chicken journey! Love sharing it with my kids as well! Welcome to the Forum!

So happy our chicks have taken to the water nipple system we put in their brooder yesterday! Really no training, they just discovered it and started using it. Once I see that each one has used it I'll take the big waterer out of there.

Hubs is wanting to get 6 more chicks from TSC so we'll definitely start them out on that in a different brooder. I'm thinking turkeys tho! LOL

Got the nipples super cheap on eBay and installation was really easy. Didn't even have to mess with silicone. We are using a repurposed coffee creamer bottle. I'm sure I'll have to fill it up several times a day but that's better than dumping out poop and bedding water all the time.

Anyone else using a water nipple system? Any experience in getting older fowl to use it?

Is anyone looking for a Silkie roo he is a splash Silkie and well has a very funny attitude. I got all my babies from chicks and they are my pets but I have 3 males and 1 female. She might not like those odds. Let me if anyone is interested. Here is his picture

That is probably the coolest silkie I have ever seen. Where are you located?

Back
Top Bottom