OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Newest fluffy butts! One more quail has hatched and is still in the bator, and the cornish bantam I didn't expect to make it is still in the other bator hanging in there, even with unabsorbed goop still dangling. Those tiny little bantam chicks look like Chickzillas next to the quail babies. :p :love

I am in Fulton County, near Wauseon Ohio, in the Northwest corner, 3 miles from Michigan I have about 50 chickens, call ducks and east indies ( which are for sale). I get 2.00 a dozen for my eggs which are cage free, range fed.

Shaybaby, so sorry for the bad hatch!
sad.png
But look at the blessings of those that made it! Very cute! The Lucasville show is this weekend, right? I really want to come!!
droolin.gif

I would love to get some showgirls. I have one coming from blessedchick. A little chick. I would take a few more. I will have to see what this weekend brings. I hate traffic and crowds!!
barnie.gif
I planned on going to the old thyme herb festival at wheat ridge on Friday. I'll have to wait and see. Hope your quails hatch
fl.gif

Yes! The swap is this weekend!! :ya I'm so excited! I'll be looking for showgirls, too. :D Bring your running shoes, sister. :plbb Kidding, kidding. I hate traffic and crowds, too, and the swap has both to boot. :sick If you can manage to get there before 7, when they open, it's not quite as bad. I got there a little before 7 in June and it looked like traffic was backed about a mile down the highway. I live nearby and don't have to go down the highway to get there thankfully. The crowds were manageable then. By 10 when I left on Saturday, the crowds were suffocating, no elbow-room at all, and traffic looked to be backed about 3 miles or so. (I'm a bad judge of distance.) Ick. I actually wish for bad weather to clear the crowds lol.
And 5 of the 13 quail that made it to lockdown have hatched, with 2 more pipped. Not including the one five-day-old from Brian. Pretty bad for 32, but assuming they're not all one gender, I'm happy. :D

Last edited:
I just figured out I won't be able to bring my flock to Ohio with me! We're going to rent a place while we look for a house and I have never heard of boarding chickens :( We have 7 cochin hens, 2 bantam cochin roos, 1 easter egger. And my babies- 7 silkies, 1 EE, 1 buff something or other, and 10 quail. I am excited about the possible move, but devastated about my chickies!

Yes! The swap is this weekend!!
ya.gif
I'm so excited! I'll be looking for showgirls, too.
big_smile.png
Bring your running shoes, sister.
tongue2.gif
Kidding, kidding. I hate traffic and crowds, too, and the swap has both to boot.
sickbyc.gif
If you can manage to get there before 7, when they open, it's not quite as bad. I got there a little before 7 in June and it looked like traffic was backed about a mile down the highway. I live nearby and don't have to go down the highway to get there thankfully. The crowds were manageable then. By 10 when I left on Saturday, the crowds were suffocating, no elbow-room at all, and traffic looked to be backed about 3 miles or so. (I'm a bad judge of distance.) Ick. I actually wish for bad weather to clear the crowds lol.
And 5 of the 13 quail that made it to lockdown have hatched, with 2 more pipped. Not including the one five-day-old from Brian. Pretty bad for 32, but assuming they're not all one gender, I'm happy.
big_smile.png
I just may wait and let you have the showgirls and buy them from you!! Save me the trouble of having to fight the traffic and crowds!
big_smile.png
I probably have enough to keep me busy until next spring. I think DH is thinking I'm getting to many! He hasn't said anything, but when I told him I have chicks coming next week from blessedchick, he asked how many. I told him only 4. But we just put the chicks I bought from minihorse outside last week. I have a large aquarium for a brooder in my utility room. I think he was glad when we took it out, but now I will be putting some more in there. I really don't have room in the other coops for the smaller ones. I guess we could divide the large coop and keep them there until they are big enough to join the adults. With the weather turning cooler, I really don't want little ones to worry about. So find some beautiful showgirls at lucasville, to make pretty showgirl chicks and I will get some of yours!!
thumbsup.gif
Come on little quails!!
ya.gif

I just figured out I won't be able to bring my flock to Ohio with me! We're going to rent a place while we look for a house and I have never heard of boarding chickens
sad.png
We have 7 cochin hens, 2 bantam cochin roos, 1 easter egger. And my babies- 7 silkies, 1 EE, 1 buff something or other, and 10 quail. I am excited about the possible move, but devastated about my chickies!
Aww! that stinks! That has to be a hard thing to do! Hope you find a house quickly so you can start back up. To bad you don't know anyone up here that you could board them with until you can find a place. Maybe you can find a house to rent that the landlord would let you keep you chickens!! That would be the ideal! Maybe someone on here could get a lead on something like that for you!!

Thank you chickawawa. Yes, I had seen that website. Cluckitall sent it to me. Oh, we enjoyed your daughter so much. I'm glad Brody came we had told her about him. They really hit it off. I enjoyed today so much. It's been a long time since hubby and I have done something together that we both enjoyed. Can't wait for the next one. Thanks so much to blessedchick and Delcochix for organizing today.

What a great swap Delaware turned out to be! The rain stopped at least for a while and I was really pleased to see the turnout!
I am happy I got to meet a few BYC'ers in real life:
Chickawawa had the lovely Icelandics (hoping my memory is still somewhat functioning!) and gorgeous black kittens my daughter was tempted by, along with a sweet little daughter who had some major coloring work to do in the coloring books she had brought!

And I loved blessedchicks fluffy babies...and the funny, beautiful little partridge Silkie pullet (that would run in circles when excited:)..

.and Janalynyorkies...my 'neighbor!'

Very nice time...wish we could've stayed longer but Quarter Horse Congress was waiting for us to help boost the economy, and the clock was ticking:)

And thanks for including me in the gratitude for organizing the swap--I wish I could take credit but I believe the thanks has to go to both blessedchicks and Scott/Champion for all the work. All I did was spread the word and make sure the Delaware County Fair had some ads posted....

I would like to throw an idea out though...with the great turnout I saw yesterday, on a rainy October Sunday, do you think it might be a good idea to see if this might be able to take place maybe next spring, when Champion has their "Chick Days?" Maybe it would be a conflict for them and I wouldn't want to do that in any way, but they supply about 5-6 breeds of day old chicks...what if a spring swap would "enhance" their Chick Days? Like no competitive breeds unless they were older, etc,, ducks, bunnies, bantams/fancies, and so on? I'm guessing there might be a set-up/space rental fee? All of you fortunate folks with incubators and knowledge would have plenty of time to warm 'em up and hatch some spring babies....yep, I'm an enabler, and also living vicariously through you:)
Scott held a 4-H chicken and rabbit clinic in the store (back) in late spring, maybe this could all be incorporated into one "Chick-stravaganza?" Just a thought I wanted to run by everyone and see if I'm just dreaming....share your thoughts, good and realistic too!

Back
Top Bottom