OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I am in Hartville ohio. This is my first time with chickens. I am nervous about winters and kier ping them warm enough.
welcome-byc.gif
and to the OHio thread!! Don't worry! You will learn all you need to know on BYC! Great people with a lot of knowledge.

Hello again to all the newbies and welcome to the OH thread! @SilkieSensation So you're moving to Roseville? I think that's not very far outside of Lancaster, which is where my sister lives and I visit often. Which will make keeping my paws off your sale birds much more difficult. :gig
I have 19 new babies! I have a Silkie and Marans now sitting on eggs. So soon we will have to be posting some for sale for the first time! These are Olive Eggers, Polish, Marans, Easter Eggers and I think I had one Silkie mix hatch out of this! Next tuesday should be the Silkies Hatch day and June 1 should be the Marans hatch day
:ya Babies! Oh boy. If you end up with any polish for sale, we'd probably take them off of your hands..hehe. Didn't end up ordering polish from a hatchery like we planned, so I'm looking locally.
ze4ydute.jpg
7u2yga7a.jpg
5ymu2e7u.jpg
4y8apu4y.jpg
ancona and call ducklings! What a great way to finish a long day at work! Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
:love :weee :ya :drool :love Nothing cuter than new ducklings, calls especially!

Latest news here:
Had one hatch tonight (ANYTHING that hatches out of that Brinsea is a true miracle)! It's a pure black silkie from my buff silkie gal from OHhappychicks. :D Had other eggs that were supposed to hatch with it, but they all quit. I do have a couple others due in a few days and a few ducks due in a week.

Not even fluffed yet.

One of our dogs, Ralphie, passed away Monday, in sadder news. Lemon Beagle. He was our first pet as a new family. We saw his picture on the pound website and brought him home before we'd even moved into our new house 7 years ago. He was a special boy. Will be greatly missed.

Also. Anyone else's girls on mass strike lately? I don't know if it's the weather or what, but I'm only getting about 1 egg a day (none today!) where I was getting 6-8 before. Even the egg-machine ducks have stopped. I don't blame them if it is the weather..
I went on a google-craze and found these gems to share with those who understand LOL. The winter ones don't pertain so much right now, but still:

Latest news here:
Had one hatch tonight (ANYTHING that hatches out of that Brinsea is a true miracle)! It's a pure black silkie from my buff silkie gal from OHhappychicks. :D Had other eggs that were supposed to hatch with it, but they all quit. I do have a couple others due in a few days and a few ducks due in a week.

Not even fluffed yet.

One of our dogs, Ralphie, passed away Monday, in sadder news. Lemon Beagle. He was our first pet as a new family. We saw his picture on the pound website and brought him home before we'd even moved into our new house 7 years ago. He was a special boy. Will be greatly missed.

Also. Anyone else's girls on mass strike lately? I don't know if it's the weather or what, but I'm only getting about 1 egg a day (none today!) where I was getting 6-8 before. Even the egg-machine ducks have stopped. I don't blame them if it is the weather..
I went on a google-craze and found these gems to share with those who understand LOL. The winter ones don't pertain so much right now, but still:

:lau ........ok I'm done now. Thanks Shay for the laughs! My girls are laying great right now 5 out of 6 are laying almost everyday. The one is broody so I'm picking up some eggs Friday for her. :fl hopefully everything goes good with her! She is my first broody and going to try the eggs!

:lau ........ok I'm done now. Thanks Shay for the laughs! My girls are laying great right now 5 out of 6 are laying almost everyday. The one is broody so I'm picking up some eggs Friday for her. :fl hopefully everything goes good with her! She is my first broody and going to try the eggs!

Ooh! Good luck with the broody and eggs! Hope she does better than my lazy broodies have done so far :)tongue)!

@ShayBaby if my girls quit going on strike I'll put more in the incubtor. I think the 4 that I had hatch could be mixes because I put them in as soon as I got them from different people! As soon as I get more I'll let you know =) Over the past 3 days its like either my free rangers found a new place to lay or they slowed way down! I have two broodies right now and just ordered a candler so I can see which ones aren't as far as long as the others- My hens are putting the eggs right under them in both cages!

Latest news here:
Had one hatch tonight (ANYTHING that hatches out of that Brinsea is a true miracle)! It's a pure black silkie from my buff silkie gal from OHhappychicks.
big_smile.png
Had other eggs that were supposed to hatch with it, but they all quit. I do have a couple others due in a few days and a few ducks due in a week.

Not even fluffed yet.

hit.gif
So sorry about your doggie! I so hard when you lose a special pet!
lau.gif
someone told me that Ohio is the only place you can get a sunburn and frostbite in the same day!!!!
gig.gif

Well, our hens aren't laying like I think they should be. We lot 7 so far, one to a weasel and 6 to a fox!!! So that is one reason they are down. We moved the marans into a breeding pen a little over a 1 1/2 weeks ago. They stopped laying for about a week, but are now just starting back up. We were getting 15-20 eggs a day. They dropped to 5-6 a day, now were are up to 9-10. So I think there was a combination of issues that caused them to slow way down, but I really believe the weather plays a big part. Hot and sweltering 1 day and cold and rainy the next!! It screws my system up, why not the hens!!!
lol.png
I also don't think my main maran roo is doing his part. I have 3 hens in with him, but so far I haven't seen any signs of fertilization on their eggs. They were not apart of his main harem. He is always walking around the fence of the pen, keeping watch on the other hens and roos!! I hope he gets busy in the next week or two. I only wanted to keep them in there about 6 weeks.

Last edited:
Yeah this rain can go now! I have been inside way too much at work this week and I want to build my run over weekend!!! Yard is looking more like a hayfield,grr.

Back
Top Bottom