OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

I'm in Perry County (SE Ohio) and just got my first chicks.  We have some more on order that are supposed to be in May 27th.  These new babies are added to our animal loving family that includes 2 guinea pigs, 1 hamster, 3 mice, 8 rabbits, 3 dogs, 5 cats and a couple aquariums.  Next year we have some other ideas to add as well. :)

I used to live in Perry County. Now I'm over by Cambridge. Hiya neighbor!

Northern Butler County - between Middletown and Germantown. Got our first chicks this spring and having a great time watching them grow. They're 6 weeks old today. I'm sure we'll be getting more!

I've a brooder full of chicklets (mostly silkies) that I am growing out for the Chillicothe swap. The second incubator is still full. I'll surely have some extras if anyone is interested.

ETA: There's a lot of paint genetics mixed up in this bunch.

Last edited:
I've a brooder full of chicklets (mostly silkies) that I am growing out for the Chillicothe swap. The second incubator is still full. I'll surely have some extras if anyone is interested.

ETA: There's a lot of paint genetics mixed up in this bunch.

I need some silkies. Would you be interested in swapping eggs or chicks?

Absolutely, though eggs may be a problem atm. I squeezed about 60 eggs out of my girls this spring, popped them into the incubator, and the girls decided enough was enough and went broody...ALL of them at once...in one nestbox. lol What do you have for trade?

Absolutely, though eggs may be a problem atm.  I squeezed about 60 eggs out of my girls this spring, popped them into the incubator, and the girls decided enough was enough and went broody...ALL of them at once...in one nestbox.  lol   What do you have for trade?

A few assorted color turkey poults, some started broad breasted turkeys & a crap load of layer breed chicks, mostly EE's. The cabinet is stuffed full, so more chicks & poults due every week.

Last edited:
I am hoping to get my coop finished enough to move my girls in this weekend. Naturally, that means my brooder will be empty.

I am debating trying to hatch some eggs and am looking into sourcing them. One of the managers at work has a backyard mix that produces fertile eggs so I was wondering if I should start with that? The problem is, I don't think his birds are that pretty
hu.gif
so if they do hatch I'm not sure I would be happy with them. But I would be able to get them very reasonably and if none of them hatch (which would be sad) they can be my test batch.

On the other hand I could attempt to get hatching eggs from Meyer (which is about 40 minutes away) or another farm I found online. The farm is up by the lake and I saw they had blue opringtons which I am interested in as I want to make splash chickens. Has anyone purchased hatching eggs from Cedarcrest Farms up by Mentor?

As far as quality goes I'm not aiming for show quality and best of the best. But I would like decent looking birds that I may be able to breed and sell chicks from some day.

I am hoping to get my coop finished enough to move my girls in this weekend. Naturally, that means my brooder will be empty.

I am debating trying to hatch some eggs and am looking into sourcing them. One of the managers at work has a backyard mix that produces fertile eggs so I was wondering if I should start with that? The problem is, I don't think his birds are that pretty
hu.gif
so if they do hatch I'm not sure I would be happy with them. But I would be able to get them very reasonably and if none of them hatch (which would be sad) they can be my test batch.

On the other hand I could attempt to get hatching eggs from Meyer (which is about 40 minutes away) or another farm I found online. The farm is up by the lake and I saw they had blue opringtons which I am interested in as I want to make splash chickens. Has anyone purchased hatching eggs from Cedarcrest Farms up by Mentor?

As far as quality goes I'm not aiming for show quality and best of the best. But I would like decent looking birds that I may be able to breed and sell chicks from some day.

This is how I feel about my brooder just becoming empty! I wouldn't go with the managers eggs if you don't like the look of the flock, unless you just want to hatch a few of them to be good mix layers, but you don't want to be stuck with them. I haven't purchased hatching eggs from anyone but the owner of Cedarcrest Farms is very nice, we have bought feed from them. There is also Sunnyside Up Micro-Farm who I have heard has good hatch rates. Best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom