OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Currently I have 15 free loaders, two who have yet to start to lay and 3 males. We are getting at least 6 new pullets in the spring. No Easter Eggers either, they don't lay long enough. I am tired of buying eggs, they taste funny!

I too am supporting a bunch of freeloaders and have stooped to an all-time low...had my dd BUY eggs from Meijer last weekend. I am mortified.

I have 35 hens (plus 2 roosters)..and right now if I get 1-2 eggs every couple of days I am pathetically grateful. Molting pretty much done so attributing this horrible lack of eggs
to short days...and slackers. Out of the 35 girls at least 7-8 are seven years old, then a couple more are in the 6 year range...but I have 11 from March 2015, including one OE, two CCL's and three Cuckoo gold and silver Marans...and not one colorful egg to be found. I have about 4-5 who fly the coop every day but I have no idea where they might lay them, and I've been searching.
I need to either try my hand at wing clipping or figure out how to make their escape route not work (they fly onto the roof of the smaller coop/run and it's too heavy to move right now..might have to rig up something vertical on the roof...when I have time, before the sun sets).

Anyways, looks like I'm in good company with supporting all these freeloaders. Maybe I'll have mine butchered for some old hen stew. No. I won't. Silly girls, I sorta like 'em.

So, I have been working on convincing my husband to let me raise chickens for years. We have ducks, but those are pets not food. Now that we live in the country the only thing keeping me back from getting chickens is knowing where to get them processed and how much it costs. I know we technically could butcher them ourselves, but honestly neither of us have the desire to. I am super excited at the prospect of raising healthy home grown chickens that have been treated well, but I'm having a hard time finding out where I could have them processed. A couple friends of mine have mentioned in passing that Amish people sometimes do it for pretty cheap, but I don't know how to contact Amish people. Are there any Ohio chicken folk who know of anywhere around the Circleville/Chillicothe area?

[COLOR=333333]So, I have been working on convincing my husband to let me raise chickens for years. We have ducks, but those are pets not food. Now that we live in the country the only thing keeping me back from getting chickens is knowing where to get them processed and how much it costs. I know we technically could butcher them ourselves, but honestly neither of us have the desire to. I am super excited at the prospect of raising healthy home grown chickens that have been treated well, but I'm having a hard time finding out where I could have them processed. A couple friends of mine have mentioned in passing that Amish people sometimes do it for pretty cheap, but I don't know how to contact Amish people. Are there any Ohio chicken folk who know of anywhere around the Circleville/Chillicothe area?[/COLOR]
if you can find a local butcher shop you can ask them if there's anyone around. Local feed/farm stores also. I know of several people but they are all quite a ways from you

[COLOR=333333]So, I have been working on convincing my husband to let me raise chickens for years. We have ducks, but those are pets not food. Now that we live in the country the only thing keeping me back from getting chickens is knowing where to get them processed and how much it costs. I know we technically could butcher them ourselves, but honestly neither of us have the desire to. I am super excited at the prospect of raising healthy home grown chickens that have been treated well, but I'm having a hard time finding out where I could have them processed. A couple friends of mine have mentioned in passing that Amish people sometimes do it for pretty cheap, but I don't know how to contact Amish people. Are there any Ohio chicken folk who know of anywhere around the Circleville/Chillicothe area?[/COLOR]

Hi neighbor! I am in that neck of the woods and know quite a few Amish in the area. I would try Beachy's Butchering. I've not had him process any chickens, just a deer a few years ago. I would be interested myself to know what he charges per bird. I don't have any meat birds or extra roosters as of now, but my husband and I talked about possibly getting some meat birds at some point.
If you want to give him a try, his farm is near the intersection of Spangler on Tarlton Adelphi Rd.

Great news on the ban being lifted! I am a bit worried though for next spring. Our part of the country could have an outbreak once wild birds return from winter migration , but I pray it does not!

Back
Top Bottom