OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

No kite flying here, I would end up to far from home once I landed. Picnic table and trees are good so far, 5 gallon bucket was stopped by the woods thankfully.

We've never had a broody hen in the two years we've had chickens, so I have no words of wisdom there.
This morning was interesting. We decided to clip the flocks wings as the rooster has been getting out of the fenced area. Clipping wings is pretty easy, but catching the buggers was not. We thought we had it down pat, letting only one out of the run at a time, but of course, one managed to get out without being caught and it took two adults and a dog a good 10 minutes to catch her! We had to herd her back into the run and into the coop, then climb through the cleaning door into the coop ourselves to nab her, lol. Good thing no one was there to video it!

Anybody want a RIR rooster come get him. He will be a year old in may. He looks great except for a little bit of frostbite on his comb. He is great with the flock. He loves to find food and call the hens over, sometimes he will pick the food up and take it to them. i only have 5 hens and he is over breeding them so he needs to go. He sometimes gets jealous when you feed the hens instead of him so if you have kids he may not be the one for you. We have had a few dust ups and it took several kicks before he backs down, then he is good for a few weeks. IF you want him you can have him for free. I live in Wood County south of Toledo so if your close and want a rooster let me know.

I am in the same situation as you, including an aggressive rooster. I wear tall boots and long coat for protection and he attacks but gives up after a few times since I don't react. It would not hurt my feelings if he disappeared but I can't do the deed myself. Luckily he isn't overbreeding the hens, at least not yet.

Back
Top Bottom