OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Is anyone going to the Ohio National Poultry Show?  November 12-13 

http://www.ohionational.org/

We'll be there!
1f60a.png

I am sorry for your loss; however, chicken wire and/or netting will only deter flying predators. Raccoons, weasels, and coyotes can and will go right through them both. I would recommend locking them up at night or using 1/2" welded hardware cloth.

Dennis

When we created our chicken run area we were prepared. We have hawks and eagles around, we did the entire run area with hardware cloth. It overlaps around the top. The cloth also got barried with cement patio blocks all the way around the run.

Another thing about the Ohio National I should maybe mention for you going for the first time, especially if you might be bringing kids. While they have a food stand in the building, historically they have been pretty proud of their grub (price wise). I'm thinking they may be more used to the Quarter Horse Congress crowd instead of us clod hopper chicken folks. So if I am planning to spend the better part of the day at The Voinovich building, I usually pack a lunch and drinks in the truck, and put my money toward supplies/equipment/ maybe birds.

Last edited:
Oh, that's why I plan (plan, I say) to NOT take ANY money.
big_smile.png

Lol!

Another thing about the Ohio National I should maybe mention for you going for the first time, especially if you might be bringing kids. While they have a food stand in the building, historically they have been pretty proud of their grub (price wise). I'm thinking they may be more used to the Quarter Horse Congress crowd instead of us clod hopper chicken folks. So if I am planning to spend the better part of the day at The Voinovich building, I usually pack a lunch and drinks in the truck, and put my money toward supplies/equipment/ maybe birds.

Ah, thank you!
thumbsup.gif

Have another more detailed winterizing coop concern...
How do you keep water from freezing without burning down chicken coop? Leaving water and feed outside is not an option as our run is open. I wanted to get the waterer heater (that is under the metal waterer) to use but it will catch bedding on fire.

Also what bedding to use for winter?? We have one side with straw (the nesting box/ water and feeder) and the other side with pine shavings (perches).

We have to insulate different than most others as we have to insulate from outside (cause rafters & how roof is designed).

Had to put tar paper covering vents and spaces in the roof to coop. I hated covering vents but at least windows can be opened. It was way to Cold still with vents open.

Back
Top Bottom