OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Do any of you guys sell eggs and what are you charging? We were charging 1.50 per dozen, 1.25 each for two dozen or more. Originally, people were looking at us like they thought that was expensive. Now, people are beginning to ask us for eggs, and they're looking at us like they think that's cheap. Ohio is notoriously cheap, so what d'ya think?
Cleveland Ohio, here--fresh eggs are 4.00/doz. here. I think you're selling cheap! People might be thinking you are selling eggs from battery cages at that price.

Cleveland, Ohio. In the past: Old English Game Bantams, Silkies, Japanese bantams, Polish bantam. Now: still have one OEGB, now have 2 wk. old chicks: Buff Orpington, Easter Eggers, Welsummer. All females, since we are in the city. All are pets, and our first one was a stray that popped under the fence at dusk and talked to me in a worried voice.

We don't have very many Chickens right now.We had bad expierience with a mink or a coon back in November.Twenty one ducks and six OEG bantams dead in one night.
All we have left are 4 Americanas(3 roosters 1 hen) .Two Hamburgs and two Silkies.Looking for more myself.I have 5 americana eggs in the incubator right now.I hope they take.1st time for us.
Sounds like you had a weasel. They can get through VERY small openings, and will kill more than they can eat or carry.

Cleveland, Ohio. In the past: Old English Game Bantams, Silkies, Japanese bantams, Polish bantam. Now: still have one OEGB, now have 2 wk. old chicks: Buff Orpington, Easter Eggers, Welsummer. All females, since we are in the city. All are pets, and our first one was a stray that popped under the fence at dusk and talked to me in a worried voice.
I'm to your east in Geauga County and @Suzi18 is to your west in the Sandusky area.

Cleveland Ohio, here--fresh eggs are 4.00/doz. here. I think you're selling cheap! People might be thinking you are selling eggs from battery cages at that price.

Look at the date on the post....??? I said, prices have gone up since then. 3.00 now. MOst of the people in our area still sell at 2.00.

I Do Not Want To Do This...
but it cannot be helped. I need to give away my four 8-month old Buff Orpingtons. They are VERY friendly, will sit in your lap for as long as you want to pet them, come running when they see you, lay one egg every day, PERFECT pets for children to learn about chickens, are Very quiet, very healthy, and egg-cellent for a first time chicken owner.
I will set you up with all the accouterments (water container, feeder, oyster shells, grit, etc... No coop, however) and even provide one-on-one instruction to care and handling.
Please help if you can. If I can't place them, they must be destroyed.
I'm located in Ohio - for the time being.
I can't imagine you'll have any trouble placing these birds, but depending on your deadline I could take them, but I'm way over in Geauga County. All hens? My current flock is almost a month old but I wouldn't mind having some mature ladies to help them learn manners as they grow up. (Some were straight run and I want to minimize any rooster culling.)

I can't imagine you'll have any trouble placing these birds, but depending on your deadline I could take them, but I'm way over in Geauga County. All hens? My current flock is almost a month old but I wouldn't mind having some mature ladies to help them learn manners as they grow up. (Some were straight run and I want to minimize any rooster culling.)
Distance means little to me - and I like visiting NE Ohio - and Yes, all hens.

As you may have learned - Buff's are considered fantastic mothers, which I have learned first-hand having one just come out of being "broody" and claiming every egg as her own. I had to go away for a couple days, returning to find her sitting on no less than 10 eggs having been laid over the weekend.

It was relatively easy to break her broodiness, but I did it in a very non-conventional, non-invasive, gentle process that obviously worked.

Re: My Deadline - the sooner the better as I would like to get them situated with time to spare. I am currently boxing my belongings in preparation for my future move and have been getting increasingly nervous over whether or not I'd have to destroy my "feather-kids."

In short - I will be glad to accept your offer, and yes it has been difficult to find someone so willing. As I need to go out of town next weekend as well, I am more than willing to make the move as soon as Today if that works for you. If not, Sunday through Thursday of next week are fine.

Back
Top Bottom