OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hello all, new here. I'm in Cambridge (Guernsey county)and after what I thought was careful research, I just found out we cannot have chickens 😭

So now, I'm trying to figure out if we can have quail instead. I checked the city ordinances but didn't see anything in regard to quail keeping. The city has a blanket ordinance stating that no one can keep "livestock, including poultry", not sure if quail are considered pets or livestock. 🤷‍♀️

Was hoping someone here would have info? TIA!
Typically, quail tend to be an exception, or at least something they don't account for in ordinances. But the best course of action would be to contact city hall. It looks like this website has the contact info: https://www.countyoffice.org/cambridge-city-hall-cambridge-oh-02f/

Good for you for looking into this BEFORE you get your birds. Some people aren't so responsible and then have to find homes for them. Good luck and I hope you can get your quail. :)

You should also be sure to tell them how many you plan on getting and for what reason. Are they pets, are they a food source for you, or are you planning on raising them to sell. If it was only a couple for pets I don't see why there would be a problem but still best to check. I don't know how noisy they are but my ducks surely are and I am Blessed to have good neighbors that love hearing the girls sound like they are laughing, lol. Good luck in being able to get them.

Typically, quail tend to be an exception, or at least something they don't account for in ordinances. But the best course of action would be to contact city hall. It looks like this website has the contact info: https://www.countyoffice.org/cambridge-city-hall-cambridge-oh-02f/

Good for you for looking into this BEFORE you get your birds. Some people aren't so responsible and then have to find homes for them. Good luck and I hope you can get your quail. :)
Thank you for that info! I really really wanted Silkie's but it's not worth breaking the law, being fined, and then having to rehome them. I did look at the ordinance, I know coturnix quail aren't mentioned anywhere specifically, so that might be a positive thing.

We did consider just getting chickens anyway and giving the neighbors "hush eggs" :D

You should also be sure to tell them how many you plan on getting and for what reason. Are they pets, are they a food source for you, or are you planning on raising them to sell. If it was only a couple for pets I don't see why there would be a problem but still best to check. I don't know how noisy they are but my ducks surely are and I am Blessed to have good neighbors that love hearing the girls sound like they are laughing, lol. Good luck in being able to get them.
We plan for 15, they have about a 50% hatch rate so we may end up with a few more or less, depending on how rough shipping is on them. (Haven't found anyone close that sells them)

From my research they are relatively quiet, the males do crow but it sounds like a bird chirping, no more annoying than the neighbor's dog that barks all hours of the day and night or the cockatiels I had as a kid.

We plan for 15, they have about a 50% hatch rate so we may end up with a few more or less, depending on how rough shipping is on them. (Haven't found anyone close that sells them)

From my research they are relatively quiet, the males do crow but it sounds like a bird chirping, no more annoying than the neighbor's dog that barks all hours of the day and night or the cockatiels I had as a kid.
Are your neighbors really close. Mine are only a driveway apart from our house. My Ducks can be heard to the end of my street but my neighbors are all nice and think they just sound funny. It's good that quail are not as loud. Good luck if you get to get them. I hope it all works out for the best for you.

Are your neighbors really close. Mine are only a driveway apart from our house. My Ducks can be heard to the end of my street but my neighbors are all nice and think they just sound funny. It's good that quail are not as loud. Good luck if you get to get them. I hope it all works out for the best for you.
You can You tube them and you are right, they are pretty quiet. That's a good thing.

Hi! I live in SE Ohio (down the highway from Athens and OU campus). I have a small flock of 8 hens. They are not free-range chickens but I am sure they would adapt. The exception would be the White Crested Black Polish hen and the Buff Brahma. Their names are Lenny Kravitz and Elvis (They are both hens, btw). Those two are co-dependent on each other and went through a trauma last summer when the other Polish hen died. Those two haven’t laid any eggs since then. That doesn’t mean that they won’t lay eggs in the future though. They have their own separate pen because the other chickens would have attacked them.
The rest of the flock have been laying eggs but not consistently since winter. This winter, their production has decreased somewhat. They average 4 eggs daily. There are 2 white leghorns, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Barred Rock, the Buff Brahma and the White Crested Black Polish.
I know that I haven’t made them sound amazing but they are all wonderful little girls. I want them to go to someone who knows about chickens and who would PLEASE make sure that the Polish chicken and Buff Brahma wouldn’t be separated from each other. They need each other.
If you don’t think you could love them and care for them, then please don’t respond, but PLEASE, if you love chickens for pets and you know that you can give them what they need, I would be so happy to know that they are well-cared for. I have raised them since they were 3 days old and I love them.
I want to keep them but I can’t. I have cerebral palsy and seizures and I have a hard time taking care of them.

Attachments​

• ED0D58DA-E512-406A-88FD-5F20964C720B.jpeg
    ED0D58DA-E512-406A-88FD-5F20964C720B.jpeg
    401 KB · Views: 1
  • 1D558524-1AAF-4EB1-B27E-C74427E35BCA.jpeg
    1D558524-1AAF-4EB1-B27E-C74427E35BCA.jpeg
    566.9 KB · Views: 1
  • A4867BC8-F128-40C2-B71C-2086969CD557.jpeg
    A4867BC8-F128-40C2-B71C-2086969CD557.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 5EEC2BDC-ECEC-4A90-B166-6378019AB646.jpeg
    5EEC2BDC-ECEC-4A90-B166-6378019AB646.jpeg
    666.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 95971023-4B2D-49EB-8677-BF75CD9EDA5E.jpeg
    95971023-4B2D-49EB-8677-BF75CD9EDA5E.jpeg
    852.9 KB · Views: 1
  • F690FC41-469B-4EBA-B961-49BAF05E2F63.jpeg
    F690FC41-469B-4EBA-B961-49BAF05E2F63.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 1
  • FE0540FD-32ED-4586-BCF8-BACBBF61BB50.jpeg
    FE0540FD-32ED-4586-BCF8-BACBBF61BB50.jpeg
    260.5 KB · Views: 1
  • EA586557-8335-4FEA-8F20-5C6A75312203.jpeg
    EA586557-8335-4FEA-8F20-5C6A75312203.jpeg
    587 KB · Views: 1
  • E52691F7-0AAE-443E-ACBE-BA3F24606D85.jpeg

Is anyone close to Licking County? I check the USDA page occasionally to track Avian Influenza and there was a case here in January that only affected one backyard flock. I haven't heard about this anywhere else and I can't seem to find any more info. So far they haven't posted any findings in wild bird populations, but now I'm panicking and hoping maybe someone on here knows whereabouts in the county this happened.

I am in Licking County my friend but have not heard anything. I have a flock of 14 ducks so hopefully it is not close to me. I do have neighbors with Chicken not far from me but they have said nothing. If you find out please let me know. Thanks

I am in Licking County my friend but have not heard anything. I have a flock of 14 ducks so hopefully it is not close to me. I do have neighbors with Chicken not far from me but they have said nothing. If you find out please let me know. Thanks
I just looked it up and it is Ashland and Defiance Counties in Ohio. The Reynoldsburg Lab told the whereabouts. I think we are safe my friend.

Back
Top Bottom