OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Hi GameCockRookie! I'm about 25 minutes north of Columbus in the Marengo area...

welcome-byc.gif

I'm outside of Toledo a ways...wondering what does everyone do for their coop regarding heat for the winter? If I get (still in the planning phases here) cold hearty chickens, would insulating the coop and keeping it draft free (with proper ventilation) be good? We're unsure if we're going to run electric out to the coop.

Thanks for the insight!

Hello Buckeyes! I am new to BYC and returning to chickens. It has been more than 30 years( I was a kid), now my girls are being introduced to the fun. We have a silkie, some ameraucanas, silver lace wyandottes and rhode Island reds. Early spring with bring the rest of the 4H projects. Glad to be on board.

I'm outside of Toledo a ways...wondering what does everyone do for their coop regarding heat for the winter? If I get (still in the planning phases here) cold hearty chickens, would insulating the coop and keeping it draft free (with proper ventilation) be good? We're unsure if we're going to run electric out to the coop.

Thanks for the insight!
I would say that if you have a draft free coop with good ventilation, there is no need for heat. I dont use heat and have had no issues in the winter. And I have to also say that the best ohio born coldhardy chicken their are is the buckeyes. Developed by a woman over a hundred years ago and they thrive here. Very good breed.

Thanks for the insight!

Your chickens have survived thousands of years without heat. To supply them with heat will, over time, make them into weaker birds.

My birds, 100+, live in 2 barn stalls in a 75 foot barn with open eaves, and doors that do not close, and thrive.

Any insulation you add, you are adding for you. They don't want, need or appreciate it.

That said, I have electric in the barn, but that is for the convenience of being able to plug in the heaters for the water containers.

Welcome to the BYC!

hello
i m in Ohio. though i m a transplant . I was a city girl , turned country girl in no time ! LOL
i am in Urbana.
i don't have many chickens but have some silkies my DD does for her 4 H and some mixed laying hens. We are getting some white cochins next month at the lucusville show.
anyone going to that show ?
smiles
sue
this is our blue splash roo, i have a hen also

our white slikie trio

Back
Top Bottom