Ohio National....Who's all going?

Quote:
I noticed walking through on Friday afternoon, a few people smoking. Ohio has strict laws against smoking inside public buildings or within so many feet of an entrance, and wa surprised that it was being done so blatantly. While new to chickens, I'm a licensed dairy goat judge and our license would be yanked in a heartbeat if we smoked while judging. Granted, goat judging is done much more visibly than chicken judging (in a ring where everyone can watch) and we are required to give comparative reasons (why 1 placed over 2, 2 over 3, etc.) on EVERY class we judge but still, I think blatant disregard of state law speaks volumes about professionalism, or the lack thereof. Until very recently, restaurants and bars faced steep penalities if a patron lit up in their business even if they attempted to make them stop.

Tom

Quote:
I noticed walking through on Friday afternoon, a few people smoking. Ohio has strict laws against smoking inside public buildings or within so many feet of an entrance, and wa surprised that it was being done so blatantly. While new to chickens, I'm a licensed dairy goat judge and our license would be yanked in a heartbeat if we smoked while judging. Granted, goat judging is done much more visibly than chicken judging (in a ring where everyone can watch) and we are required to give comparative reasons (why 1 placed over 2, 2 over 3, etc.) on EVERY class we judge but still, I think blatant disregard of state law speaks volumes about professionalism, or the lack thereof. Until very recently, restaurants and bars faced steep penalities if a patron lit up in their business even if they attempted to make them stop.

Tom

I would be surprised that that happened, I didnt see anyone there smoking inside the barn but I did see several guys walking around with Cigars in their mouths, unlit.

Quote:
I wasn't there on Saturday so can't speak to whether anyone was smoking then, but I'm very sensitive to cigarette smoke and I assure you there were lit cigarettes inside the building on Friday afternoon. I saw a few with unlit cigars as well but there were at least 2-3 different people, in different areas of the cooping floor, smoking.

Oh really? I saw lots of people smoking outside. I guess I did see one person smoking inside. I dont remember seeing any signs that said no smoking.

Quote:
By law, it is posted at each entrance with a toll-free number to call should you see violators. It is also posted throughout the Voinovich Center. And while shavings aren't nearly as flamable as the hay and straw that would be used for other livestock events, common sense, which isn't so common now days, would tell you not to have lit cigarettes around something that would catch fire easily. Very few states allow smoking inside buildings (I was at the North Carolina State Fair, home of all the major tobacco companies!) and they didn't even allow it inside buidlings.

I was there and had an exciting time!
Showed 8 birds and 7 placed.
My Buff Silkie hen took Best Of Variety
Partridge Pullet Reserve Variety

I was amazed at how well run it was !
It was my third year there and will always go back!
Saw many old friends and meet some new!
My Blue , Black and Spash Cochins were in a molt and had to leave them behind.
But a great exhausting weekend and my hat is off to Eric!

Last edited:
Ms. Lewis Rich :

I was there and had an exciting time!
Showed 8 birds and 7 placed.
My Buff Silkie hen took Best Of Variety.
My Partridge Blue Silkie took Reserve Variety
and other placements with Mottled Cochins and Silkies.
I was amazed at how well run it was !
It was my third year there and will always go back!
Saw many old friends and meet some new!
My Blue , Black and Spash Cochins were in a molt and had to leave them behind.
But a great exhausting weekend and my hat if off to Eric!

That Mrs. Lewis Rich for the Black Cochin Male, got him in with my best breeder hen waiting for some eggs now!!!​

Finally I get a chance to post and say what a FANTASTIC time we had at the show! Didn't bring any birds but I had a box along in case I found Silver Pencilled Wyandottes (Lucky you madimorg!! I'm jealous!) Got in Fri afternoon and went straight to the show. It must have been early cuz there were lots of empty cages still. We stayed at the Best Western on the west side of town. It was awesome! Highly recommended! I made our res late and ended up getting 2 King suites each for 55$ a night!

Sat was crazy! Went to the seminar and they had an interesting speaker. A Dr from Cornell that lives on Long Island NY. He is a horticulturist too so really wish I could have visited with him more! The chicken info was pretty basic but he had some fun stories to tell so made it interesting.

Went to the BYC meet up at noon but there weren't too many there. Got to visit with wegotchickens and her DH and another guy cant remember his screen name. It all happened so fast! And mame1616 I saw you and wanted to visit but never got the chance. btw I didn't get to meet Mrs Turbo either! and really wanted to! Got to visit with Mr Turbo for a while tho! Chicken people are just great people! Everywhere you looked people walking around with birds in their arms and talking chicken! It was great! Got to meet a few more BYCers on the floor throughout the day.

I want to thank whoever recommended High Street and Bettys! Went up there Sat eve and walked some more! Way cool unique shops and restaurants all along both sides for a LONG ways! People walking everywhere. Colored lights arched across the street all up and down the way. Cobblestone side streets. And Betty's for dinner was a FUN FUN experience!!

There were some gorgeous wyandottes there! Almost a whole double row of Silver Laced! Only 3 Silver Pencilled tho one of which was a fantastic roo I would have loved to have!! Kinda disappointed there weren't more sussex. Only 4 Lights and NO buff sussex! (Note to self: show buff sussex next year!) There were soo many different breeds represented to see it was just amazing!

I figured after 12 hrs on my feet on Sat a 16 hr drive home Sun might feel good Wrong! 12 hrs to Mpls where yes there was lots of snow and another 4 hrs home. Long drive but Soo worth it! I'd do it again in a heartbeat! So glad I was able to go!!

I put a few pics and a video clip in my web album: http://picasaweb.google.com/jhultmatt/OhioNationals2010?feat=directlink Hopefully the link works.

ETA A Big Thank You to Neil Grassbaugh and all the volunteers for putting on a wonderfully fantastic show!! You did an awesome job!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom