oil on rescued pekin ducks wings

Milkyisa

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2019
Hi, I rescued a female pekin duck about a year ago. When I first got her, the tips of her wings were dirty and brown and seemed to be deteriorating. I didn’t really know what it was first, so I just kept her clean and it didn’t seem to bother her. Now, her wings are quite bad. I’ve figured out that she may have got under a car and got oil on her wings. Even though this happened well over a year ago, could I still wash her wings with dish soap and hope for good results, or could I possibly clip the wings and hope that new ones will grow back clean? Not sure what to do. Her wings are becoming quite spiky and I feel so sorry for her.
(Attached is a photo of her wing, the other one is much the same.)

Attachments

• 2F3ECE45-FE70-4094-B917-6E90EA967242.jpeg
    2F3ECE45-FE70-4094-B917-6E90EA967242.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 25
It will hurt her briefly, but pulling them by the shaft will cause new ones to grow in immediately.
You can clip, and it may help, but they won't grow back until they fall out.
After a year I would have expected them all to have dropped though. Ducks should molt in summer.

She looks like she needs a good molt. If you want to wash yes use dawn but do only her wings because the dawn will remove the natural oils off her feathers which will make her not water proof. Hopefully she'll molt soon. I think pulling out her feathers would be painful but if she doesn't start molting in the next month or 2 let us know and we can show you a diagram on clipping. Oh are you in the US? because that might make molt at a different timing.

Hi, I rescued a female pekin duck about a year ago. When I first got her, the tips of her wings were dirty and brown and seemed to be deteriorating. I didn’t really know what it was first, so I just kept her clean and it didn’t seem to bother her. Now, her wings are quite bad. I’ve figured out that she may have got under a car and got oil on her wings. Even though this happened well over a year ago, could I still wash her wings with dish soap and hope for good results, or could I possibly clip the wings and hope that new ones will grow back clean? Not sure what to do. Her wings are becoming quite spiky and I feel so sorry for her.
(Attached is a photo of her wing, the other one is much the same.)
What do you feed your ducks?

Back
Top Bottom