Oily butts

fireman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 14, 2008
I had to knock some dingleberrys off the butts of my 4 day old chicks. I read about folks using vaseline or olive oil to keep the butt slick. I used regular old vegetable oil cuz thats all I had on hand. Now I notice the chicks kinda peckin at their butts. They are not peckin each other, just their own. Any cause to worry? Nobody is bleeding or bald.

Pasty Butt;

OK, The straight skinny on "Pasty Butt". Believe it or not, Pasty Butt is a symptom of constipation. The cure is molasses in their drinking water. Molasses is a natural laxative for fowl. Mix it like weak tea and give it to them for 2 days. Naturally you should clean their little butts with a warm damp cloth before you start the treatment. Failure to cure this condition could result in a painful death for your chicken. This treatment is for adult birds as well as chicks.

I read a couple times that your just supposed to wipe their butts off with warm water and a wash cloth. I dont really know but maybe the vegatable oil might irritate chicks. If you look at the ingretiants maybe you'll know something off the bat, or you can look up what chicks are "allergic" to.

Sorry for not much help

Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom