1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok a few questions about getting my babies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by first time farmer, Mar 10, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Ok so i got the email this morning that my chicks are coming at the end of the month. So I have a few questions. There are 3 post offices in my town should i call all three and ask what post office they will be shipped to?While I am at school will they be ok if they are in a brooder in my basement.

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I would suggest that you call & find out which one they will go to. Then, if it is at all practical for you, visit that P.O. a couple days before you expect them to arrive. Speak with someone at the desk and leave a note with your name and number(s). My note asked my post office to call me when my chicks got in - expecting a call at 7:30 or 8 a.m. Oh no! They called far earlier that that. Understand that they might pull your babies off a truck at 5:00 or so.
    The chicks will be just fine if you can get them settled in before school.
    Good luck. I am excited for you! [​IMG]

3. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Ok so i will call the P.O. and see. How will my chicks be all day by themselves while i am at school. (its town meeting day here so i dont have school)

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Do all three post offices have the same zip code? If not, the chicks will be sent to the PO that has the exact zip code as what you wrote on the address part of your order.

Also, the chicks will be okay in the brooder in your basement while you are at school if they are warm enough and cannot escape the brooder (and if your other pets are kept away from them).

5. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Do all three post offices have the same zip code? If not, the chicks will be sent to the PO that has the exact zip code as what you wrote on the address part of your order.

Also, the chicks will be okay in the brooder in your basement while you are at school if they are warm enough and cannot escape the brooder (and if your other pets are kept away from them).

Yes all three have the same zip code. And my dog stays out side so he cant get at the chicks. So i think i am good thanks for every ones help.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. Your chicks will be ok as long as they have plenty of heat around 95 degrees for the first week, feed and water. Good luck!!! Please post some pics when you get them. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Will do! Ok so i am really worried now. I was reading some posts about people not getting there chicks or a lot of them being dead. I am so worried now. Does stuff like that normaly happen.

8. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    It can happen. Most of the time ppl. loose chicks due to weather conditions. You should be fine. Just read all the articles that you can so you will be as prepaired as possible. You will do just fine and i hope you love your chicks. Good Luck and Welcome to BYC.

9. mendogurl

mendogurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Quote:Will do! Ok so i am really worried now. I was reading some posts about people not getting there chicks or a lot of them being dead. I am so worried now. Does stuff like that normaly happen.

My chicks came this morning. I was so scared to open the box.

They ALL made it, looks like they are all fine. They shipped yesterday. My post office called this morning. They were home twenty minutes later.

10. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Did you go to the P.O. before and tell them the chicks were coming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by