OK, any tips on washing a chicken???

NotSoChickenLove

Chirping
Jun 1, 2017
NZ
One of my feathered dumbasses tried dust bathing in some dirt that looked dry on top but was pure mud underneath. She walked PAST the tub of dry sand I made for her to do this. I've wiped as much off as possible, and she's been grooming tonight but I might have to take charge of this situation tomorrow. I was just going to get a wash cloth and some warm water and try splash/wiping it, and then drying her off with a towel. It's very cold here right now, so I don't want to dunk her.

Silly chicken!! Keep doing what you are doing. If you do need to give her a bath you can towel dry her then use a hair dryer on the low setting. You definitely don't want wet feathers in the cold. Good luck.

One of my feathered dumbasses tried dust bathing in some dirt that looked dry on top but was pure mud underneath. She walked PAST the tub of dry sand I made for her to do this. I've wiped as much off as possible, and she's been grooming tonight but I might have to take charge of this situation tomorrow. I was just going to get a wash cloth and some warm water and try splash/wiping it, and then drying her off with a towel. It's very cold here right now, so I don't want to dunk her.
Wiping most of it off is fine...but just let her be, she'll clean it off.
Try putting her in the tub of sand, but they usually like to make their own.

Where are you located that it's very cold...and how cold?
How old is this bird?

That's how my father's dog would clean himself off - roll in the mud. The mud would dry and flake off taking the old body oils with it. My father eventually stopped trying to bathe him and instead spray down a patch of bare dirt. This was especially liked on hot summer days.

Wiping most of it off is fine...but just let her be, she'll clean it off.
Try putting her in the tub of sand, but they usually like to make their own.

Where are you located that it's very cold...and how cold?
How old is this bird?

NZ and it's around freezing point at night.
I gave her a wipe down today but she's still pretty mucky. She's only about 24 weeks. I have two of them that age and they don't seem to know how to do normal chickeny things, like roosting or grooming properly. Some of her feathers are completely caked, so I've tried to wash those separately. They're very damp, but it's not down to her skin. She's still a bit of a muddy mess but seems quite happy running around being the dirty kid.

Natural and harmless. In no time it will fall off on its own. I would worry about grease or oil from contact under a vehicle while free ranging more than wet dirt. Dirt repels insects such as mites etc. Unless you raise birds for show... Relax, enjoy life.

Natural and harmless. In no time it will fall off on its own. I would worry about grease or oil from contact under a vehicle while free ranging more than wet dirt. Dirt repels insects such as mites etc. Unless you raise birds for show... Relax, enjoy life.

I've never had any sort of bird before. I'm being a helicopter parent, aren't I? I will calm down and let them get as messy as they like.

I've never had any sort of bird before. I'm being a helicopter parent, aren't I? I will calm down and let them get as messy as they like.
Yes, a bit of hovering...but ya don't know, until ya know<shrugs>.
The first year of chickeneering is hard, lots to learn,
especially when to act and when to just laugh.
A wet bird in freezing temps is definitely something to keep an eye on.
Hopefully the mud dried before it froze.

Back
Top Bottom