OK, coop is built and had chickens for 2 weeks, now what?

JoseyWalesX

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Hey guys, I bought my first chickens 2 weeks ago, year old RIR's, 6 hens and a roo. They are doing great, roosting in the 9x7 coop I built for them at night and free ranging during the day. My question is, I would like to add a couple more hens to the flock, maybe a cochin and silkie. Is it better to build a separate small coop and buy the new hens as pullets and raise them in it until they are older or go ahead and buy full grown hens and allow them to free range and roost with the others.

:welcome
If you introduce the chickens to the flock right away, this might result in some pecking. Usually people separate the new chickens into a different pen (separated by wire fencing, so the chickens can all see each other) and let everyone get used to the other's presence. You don't necessarily have to buildd a new coop, perhaps you could just partition off a section of your existing one.

fully grown might be easier for you, your coop is big enough, best to add them in at night and never just one by itself. If you add a small breed or chicks its best to separate them in the coop and later make sure they have a place to get away from the bigger ones. good luck, currently I am building separate areas for new chicks and older chicks, and 2 chicken detention centers, and I think I want to add on a separate coop for roosting and keep one for nesting hens and chicks, it dosn't end.

Back
Top Bottom