1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK...Dumb Question of The Day...How Often Do Turkeys Lay Eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by SandyC, Sep 24, 2008.

1. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 Royal Palm hens. I was wondering if and when they will lay eggs and how often? I am totally clueless here!

2. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    They will lay eggs, provided that they are healthy, well fed, and mature. Of course, you do not need a tom turkey to get eggs. Turkeys are much better layers in the spring/summer than in the fall and winter. Yours might not lay till spring, but some lay a few eggs in the fall.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Most of our turkeys lay every other day, there are a few that are every day layers but not that many.

Steve in NC

4. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

My girl lays just about every other day too, once or twice 2 days in a row(when she lays, it is coming into spring here in Brazil, it is opposite the U.S.).
    Last time she had nine eggs, she hatched 3, one died and we have two almost 5 weeks old, mom was not good mom so they are penned with a naked neck chick and it is teaching them, all doing great.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  5. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you use those eggs like chicken eggs?

What do they taste like?

6. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Hmmmm.......I would like to know too!

7. ricklo

ricklo Chillin' With My Peeps

I couldn't tell you, those where the first Turkey eggs we got and wanted babies, so they went under Tilly!
    [​IMG]

8. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    Quote:Me too also

9. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    The eggs are thicker/richer than chicken eggs but not as thick as a duck egg. Our favorite eggs are Goose eggs followed by turkey or quail.

Steve in NC

10. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    We have eaten our turkey eggs and find them comparable to chicken eggs just larger.
    Our girls lay about every other day as well. Out of 5 females we get around 3 a day so some lay 2 days in a row at times.
    I must agree that duck eggs are much richer and much better for baking.

David

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by