Ok for tree to be in run?

SaltLakeSpice

Chicken Tender
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
Hello,

I am planning to build a new 8x10 run for my 6 chickens. There is a well established cherry tree in the area I'm planning to put the run in. I was wondering if I should build the run so the tree is inside the run (maximizing space) or go around the tree (reducing nitrogen to tree). I guess my question is, is the poop from 6 chickens in that space going to harm the tree? Thanks.

The chickens will LOVE
love.gif
the shade come summer. And no, they won't hurt the tree. Probably the opposite. They will fertilize it!
clap.gif

Jen

I have a tree in mine. They really don't bother with it at all.

Its alot bigger than a cherry tho, its an oak I think.

the roots of the tree will be wider than the canopy so if you want to keep the tree out of the run it will have to be that far away.

I would be worried about excessive nitrogen build up in the soil over time, but I'm not sure how bad it really is or if it will really hurt. I'm sure that for a while that tree will grow like crazy with tons of suckers.

Just remember to have nothing that is somewhat close to the lowest branch.

I think it was about a 4-5 foot leap from the top of one of my temporary dog crates to the bottom branch of my tree, and at least 10 times I had to beat the trees to get the birds out for the night. They wanted to sleep in the tree. A few times I let them cuz I was too tired, or it was raining or something.... but after that I moved the crate. Silly birds. That was before we finished the coop, now it is just too out of reach or they like the coop better than the tree who knows.

Back
Top Bottom