Ok, here we go again.

coolcanoechic

Songster
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Raymond, New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
Back in October, I purchased 3 hens from a guy on Craigs List. One Red, one BR and one RI Red. These are my first chickens I have ever had in my life. No previous experience.
About two weeks after I brought the girls home, the RI Red started acting funny. She kept to herself and the BR started pecking at her. She died mysteriously soon after during the night and I found her in the morning on the coop floor..
Now, today, the Red is acting funny. I can tell she is not feeling well. She spent time in the nesting box this morning just snoozing. I thought, ok, I got them up too early as the other was snoozing in the middle of the coop. I get them up at 3 am every day.
I went out this afternoon and saw there were no early morning eggs.....The Red. I figured she was taking the day off. She lays very well, and takes a day off about once a week.
I came out this afternoon to let them out and give them their usual treats....whatever I can scrape up from the fridge since they expect it now as a regularly scheduled event.
I noticed that the run was not very messy. I usually smooth things out every afternoon and then the two of them just tear things up to do their usual dust bathing. The red usually does most of the digging, and the BR just hops in and takes over in the dusting hole. No dusting holes today.
I found a shell less egg yesterday morning that was laid during the night. I didn't know who did it and was not going to be concerned until I could see any evidence of anything wrong. The BR laid an egg today and the Red did not. Day off? Not sure.
This afternoon, I let them out
as always to go in and clean.... not much to do today. I watched the girls as I always do and gave them a plate with some treats on it. The BR dug in and the Red only looked at the goodies and walked away. Not like her at all. They both headed around the corner to their favorite scratching spot and the BR did as always while the Red just mostly hung out.....not much scratching and a little picking at the grass and dirt. When they went back to their run, the red snuggled down in the run and the BR picked at her. This tells me there is definately something wrong. She went into the coop and drank lots of water. I let them out again for a little bit and then they went back in again. I am waiting for dusk to close their coop door for the night.
Anyway, here we go again. I wonder if I am going to lose my girl or not.
I can catch her and hold her, but she is not used to human contact and get's very stressed out when I do. She is a beautiful healthy looking bird. She is huge. I don't know how to deal with this, and what to look for or check for. All I can tell is there is definately something wrong and I don't know how to fix it.

I have filled out the questions supplied for this. I am keeping my fingers crossed, but I think I may find a dead bird in a day or two if things go like the last time.
fl.gif

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) She is a Cinnamon NH Red?
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Looking at food, nibbling a little, but not enthusiastic about it as usual. Not enthusiastically scratching when let out. Looks tired and seems to want to sleep.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since this morning.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing that I can tell, unless she was the one who laid the egg without the shell during the night two nights ago.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Not much eating, but drinking well.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Normal, but not the usual big poops....smaller amounts.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Nothing, I don't know what to do
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I will take her to a vet if it is recommended
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Please see my page for housing. Bedding is chopped hay and straw and always cleaned every day. The coop actually smells sweet like fresh straw.

In the picture, it looks like she has something that looks like a stye in her eye that I have never noticed before.

Ok, I hate to ask again, but if anyone has even an inkling, I would be interested to know. Please? Anyone? She seems to be at the start of getting ill like the last one, so if there is a chance I can prevent a death, I will try it.
Thanks.

What are you feeding them? When mine have an egg problem they tend to not move around much and hold their tails down. Sometimes the vent pulses (when an egg breaks inside or busts from lack of a shell). Do check for bugs and you may want to consider worming for sure. Those are the first two things I check for when one is acting off. Does she normally lay every day?
sharon

I lost a hen in a similar manner a few weeks ago and decided to worm the remaining three. She appeared very healthy then one day wouldn't leave the nest box and the next day died. I last wormed then in April so they were past due. Good luck

Thank you. I picked her up and wanted to check her, but she was very stressed and squirmy and jumped out of my arms. If she gets worse, then maybe I will be able to handle her and look. She was perfectly fine yesterday......
hu.gif

I could tell by her behavior that there is something wrong....especially since she let the other peck at her without retaliating. Not like her at all.

Quote:
She feels light to me, but looks pretty large for a chicken. She has been puffing up, but I am thinking it is because it is cold here. Today was warmer than normal with a temp of 35 for a high.

Keep in mind that the following is just giving you links that might be helpful in the future. I have no idea what is wrong with your hen.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps031
eyes

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
diagnosis charts at bottom

I am sorry that I don't know what is wrong with your hen's eye and with her in general. I thought I would give you these links anyway.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...b=13cis7kvu&sigi=11njdr39j&.crumb=CYkw53c.1nK

You might be on the lookout for fowl pox (see the above link from the learning center) signs. I have no experience with it, and so could not tell you if that is what you are starting to see in her eye. It doesn't really sound like it would be the diagnosis, as the link I read says that mortality isn't usually significant with the dry form.

Back
Top Bottom