Ok how long do you go with out starting to worry ?

This morning update well the one that pip and was struggling I gave in at 5:30am and I helped him out. He is out and now just kind of hanging out. I was little nervous because he had a bloodish colored butt however yolk sack was sucked up. Then after a hour of leaving him alone he did not back out himself so I just helped him all the way out. As for the rest of the eggs I am losing hope all thou we did see one move this am but no pip marks on this egg. As for the sand thing it makes sense but will it be to late they found the food but yes it is sand. Basically I watched this youtube video and copied his setup except we used a Rubbermaid tote.

Just went down and checked on the quail and eggs. I put down paper towels now so that's covered. I checked out little Ed and he seems ok but so far not up really walking around. He rather just kind of roll and flop around. Hopefully hes healthy. However here is a couple more pictures. Is it rare to have a dark brown bobwhite vs the chipmunk colored ones ?

Last edited:
Usually the ones with the yolk sac are a bit behind the others. And usually by the next day they are up and doing what the others are doing. Make sure the others aren't picking his butt. And if he is still slow tonight, you might up the temp to 99 degrees for 24 hours. I have found that it helps these late bloomers to heal faster.

Congrats on the great hatch!!

I will just leave him in the incubator til he is up and moving better. The good thing is the yolk sac was in him but he just had a little red butt. Now tomorrow will be day #27 would you do anything or keep waiting we did have one rolling this am but I also did open the incubator a crack. When I did this the humidity went down to 65% so I did like the one person said and sprayed down the inside with warm water and the humidity shot back up to 75-80. Our basement's air is at 70% humidity.

Well this will be the last update on the eggs. After giving the eggs an extra couple days I put my final and last chick in the brooder. However while doing this I learned that this chick has I guess what they call splayed legs. So after doing some research I got a bandaid and trimmed it down and hopefully this will fix the problem. This last chick is the one I helped out of the egg. After doing this I personally had to know what happened to the rest of the eggs. So I shut down the incubator and started by candling the eggs. I learned that 3 of the remaining eggs did not even make it to the chick stage I could see thru them other then a blood spot on the end. So that left me 10 eggs to go. I picked up the 3 with the biggest pip holes that I didn't really even see due to that side of the egg was down or too close to another egg. These chicks were all fully grown with the yolks inside the chick I wonder if the shell was just to hard to crack or what not. The other 7 almost the same. I believed these were what you were calling shrink wrapped. After I cracked the outer egg the egg had a rubbery membrane under the shell that to be honest was pretty tough to rip open. After I got thru this layer the chick was still balled up into a smaller egg shape with a membrane around the chick. This layer was kind of like saran wrap yet thinner. This layer tore pretty easy and was still moist to wet on the inside of it. These eggs did not have the yolk in the chick at this point. Any how this is what happened with my chicks. I find it a pretty poor turn out for actual 13 completely fertile eggs. The only good thing is I did just double the size of my flock of bobwhites. In the future I do have a better incubator that is not working at this time but I plan to put some time in on working on my old sportsman 1502 but I have not a clue. I only know mice got into the thing while my dads friend had it and ate a lot of the wiring. All this being said I want to thank you guys for your help and advice !

Back
Top Bottom