1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OK - I bit - eggs and incubator ordered

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by michiganlarry, Apr 7, 2009.

1. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Well reading on this site got to me. Never had chickens before. Got a 10 x 10 shed for a really great price and will turn it into a coop. We live on 22 acres and have lots of room. Ordered some welsummer eggs from a member on here and borrwed a hovabator from my brother. My kids and wife think I'm nuts!

My biggest concern is how my 13 year old english setter is going to deal with birds in his backyard. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. bwg_bear

bwg_bear Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Kenton Ohio
    You will have a blast. I enjoy chickens more than my kids and they take them for 4H projects. Welcome to the board.[​IMG]

3. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    welcome do the insanity ,
    You have been sucked in and will never escape [​IMG]

If you can I would find some local eggs to pop in with youre ordered eggs , just to make shure , shipped eggs some times dont have grate hatches but Im shure you will have a new hatchers luck

[​IMG]

4. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Hmmmmm, English Setter . . . .birds . . .[​IMG]

5. Sammysmom

Sammysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    Quote:First, [​IMG]! I have an English Setter, too(see avatar)! When we first set up the brooder for our first hatch of the year, she kept running over to it and looking at me expectantly. Apparently, she remembered the chicks that were in it last year! Smart pup![​IMG]

6. michiganlarry

michiganlarry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    Marine City, Michigan
    Woohoo. I just won 12 more welsummer eggs on ebay. That will make 18 going into my new bator sometime next week. Should I let the eggs sit for a couple days before I put them in? Any other newbie advice would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

7. cowman910

cowman910 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Suffolk County,NY
    yes let them get up to room temp before putting them in the bator. [​IMG]

8. wadek2008

wadek2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Quote:bwg-[​IMG] you enjoy your chickens more than you enjoy your kids or you enjoy your chickens more than your kids enjoy your chickens?[​IMG]
    Sorry! Had to say it!

9. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I TOTALLY enjoy chickens more than my kids: My chickens don't ask for gas $$$$$! [​IMG]

Larry, where are you in Michigan?

10. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Welcome from North Carolina!![​IMG]

You are going to have sooo much fun! It is great watching them hatch and grow! I have to be strong and stay away from Ebay! I have over 300 in my incubators now, but when I see good deals on BYC or Ebay I still want more!![​IMG] I let my eggs sit for at least eight hours before I set them!! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by