OK...I clearly need help! Calling all goose gurus!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Harley's girl, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

So I have these embden geese. When I got them I was told they were sisters and could not be separated. OK Not a problem. I have been getting eggs from them both.....at least I thought I was. For the past 2 days I have witnessed my sister geese...gulp..........MATING!!! Will one hen get more dominate and act as the gander? The one went broody and the other just stands out in front of her guarding the nest while she sets. If I have a pair that would be cool. If not then why are these sisters mating? [​IMG]

I know that in the chicken world a hen can become dominate. I am just wondering can it happen in the goose world? Thanks.

Harley [​IMG]

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    i know female ducks do that. ONe becomes dominant and will mount the other female. Though my girls tend to share nests, lol... I'm sorry i'm nt totally sure on geese, but you came to the right place! someone here should know or sure

3. Harley's girl

Thank you for your help. Seems like every time I post a question on here it is simply not answered. Thank you again. I suppose I could try and hatch out an egg and see what happens. Thanks again.

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It's a dominance thing. My girls do that all the time.

5. Unless you have a gander that egg won't be fertile.
    When I asked an experience duck breeder if I should just keep hens she said they will be much happier [​IMG] if they have a male living with them.
    I think she was referring to the kind of behavior you describe.
    Although some people find that happening even when there is a male. [​IMG]

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Exactly. I have 2 females and 1 male duck. There is still mounting going on between the girls. Lana is the boss of Chrissy apparently [​IMG]

7. Harley's girl

Well, I cracked open an egg and it looked like it had the bulls eye (this was this weekend I looked) I am just wondering if the lady I got them from was not mistaken. I got them in September. So when I got one egg one day and another the next I had assumed it was from each goose. I would not mind getting a gander. My DH would mind. He does not like that I have 2 now. And 3 ducks! He wants them gone. Is there a way you can tell by looking at them? I know with the ducks the drakes rasp and have the curled tail. But is there a way to tell geese? I can go take pics. I just really want to know. Thank you guys for the help!!!! I really appreciate it!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
  9. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    From what I've read, there's not much of a difference between male and female geese.

What's the 'bulls eye'?? Is it a little white spot on the yolk or something?
    I'm a total newb. [​IMG]

10. Harley's girl

Wow, thank you. I will have to sweet talk my DH into helping me. I am sure he will be thrilled to look into a gooses vent! LOL Thanks again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by