OK...I clearly need help! Calling all goose gurus!

Geese are really hard to sex and I wish I could give you a yes or no answer.
One sure way to sex at mating age is if one stands in front of the other with
it's neck extended when you approach (often hissing). That is male behavior. If they are both sitting on a nest I would say two females with one being the dominant. Can you incubate an egg?
Good luck-I hope you have a pair

I have a sebastopol hen that has laid an egg everyday for a week now. She is the only hen in that pen so I know it is her.

The head stretched out and hissing thing the one does. So far only one has been setting on the nest. I want to band one to make sure that I am well, for sure that it is only the one setting.
smile.png
I had not given it a second thought until I seen the mating. I actually seen stuff drip out!
ep.gif
(Try to explain that to a 4 year old!!!!!)
th.gif
Here when the one is on the nest I will band her. Just to keep an eye on her!!! Thanks guys!

Why don't you let them hatch their own? You can always steal a gosling or two to hand raise. Frees up your incubator and they may stop laying anyway.

Well, now that would be the thing to do huh? Gosh, I get all excited and forget that hello....they will hatch them! Oh thank you!!! She has been setting on my ducks eggs and I have to fight with her to get her to get the chicken eggs out of there. I guess I will let her hatch some goose eggs!!!!!
wee.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif
clap.gif
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Harley's girl, Congrats!!! I'm sorry to hi-jack your thread but since we are talking about geese-----my DD wants to have one. All I remember is how mean they can be, chasing and biting. Is there a calm breed (now I learned you really need a mating pair) that would be suitable? My youngest is 9 and he won't let anything bother him so I'm not worried about young kids. Just need your input.

Back
Top Bottom