Ok i have had it why are my ameraucanas not laying!?!?!?

ChickenKid11

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 10, 2011
So my 5 ameraucanas are not laying. I have them on a lighting system. I think that they are out of their molt can you please tell me your awnsers ASAP!!!!!

Because they're roosters?
tongue.png

Ok they should be coming up on 18-19 weeks old I Just switched them to a layers ration ( yesterday). I hope this help tell me if you need more details.

Quote:
Is that particular to ameraucanas or a general rule? I ask because I am awaiting our first egg(s) any minute now. My girls, SLW, JG, BLRW & BO, are 22 weeks old today, and no inklings yet. I fostered three other chicks to the age of 8 weeks, and they laid their first eggs a week ago Friday. Granted they are BR, RIR & BO. I console myself with the concept that BR's & RIR's are more prolific egg layers....that, and they had very good brooding;).

mm

My Ameraucan hen was the last to start laying...I think it was about week 26 or 27. I'm of the opinion that she felt she wasn't 'required' to do "THAT"
gig.gif

She laid nearly every day until she went broody in March or so. She's gone broody 2 more times this summer. Too bad I got rid of the roo!

Last edited:
Generally most won't take more than 7 months unless they're something like a Jersey Giant or something else slower to mature. But there can be freak birds in any breed that take forever it feels like.

Ensuring that they're on layer feed and are getting 14 hours of light helps but there's nothing you can do to rush them into it. Some can start early, same as some can start late. I had one start at 4 1/2 months, tiny, perfect little eggs, every day. Crazy!

Look for squatting behavior, reddening of the comb, and getting bigger/fluffier in the rear end (as if it "drops" in comparison to younger non laying birds). They'll also start checking out the nesting area, though sometimes it's just to kick the bedding out.

Individuals can vary though. I have a Silver Spangled Hamburg who's been squatting for a month. She's only 5 months old, but she's throwing signs that she will, but her breed usually won't lay that young. She's supposed to be more of a later bloomer so she must be just teasing.

I had a duck due to lay, she gave no indication at all until 2 days before when she made a nest. 2 days later, and egg was in it. And every day since. She's been more reliable than any of my chickens!

I have one amaricauna that has started laying at 20 wk. & one the same age who has not started a week and a half later. I have 10 chickens of various breeds, they are 21 to 22 weeks old and I believe I have four that are now laying... I also think most of them are from my slightly younger group..

Why would you even be looking for eggs before they are 20 weeks old at least??? Plus the breed you have is well known not to lay till their older!!

Back
Top Bottom