OK I HAVE TO VENT!!! UPDATE UPDATE U R NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!!

conroy

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
So I do not have an AmStaff but I tried to adopt one today and was denied....Yes I was a little insulted but the reason I was denied and the way was what really got to me. So I am gonna put it to all of you and you can tell me what you think...

So I saw these cute lil 6 week old amstaff puppies on Petfinder... they said they were purebreds and the breeder surrendered them because he is fixing his dogs and is not going to be breeding anymore. So we saw this adorable lil white girla nd inquired about her. They sent me an application straight away which I filled out the next morning (this morning) and just as I was bout toi send it in I started to wonder why a breeder would give up 7 purebred puppies...does this happen alot with this breed?

Anyway I remembered reading about some health issues here on an AST forum and some other places so of course I googled it. A bunch of issues came up but one that caught my eye was Ataxia. The site I was on said that there's no testing for it and though breeders are trying to breed it out of the AmStaffs there are still cases. And unfortunately there is no cure and the dogs end up being euthanized....so I sent this email with my application...My daughter also wants to do agility competitions and we were told that the dog has to be AKC by our trainer (We have 2 mutts that are trained for agility)...

"Hello,
Just curious, are the parents of Lyric AKC? If so would it be possible to get their info? I am not interested in breeding and she will definitely be spayed but I am interested in competing in Agility and the dogs have to be AKC. If not, I can probably get an honorary AKC membership, it's not a big deal. Also (and I am sure you did ask) this guy didn't stop breeding because of some health issues right? I know things like Ataxia don't show up until the dogs are 2-3 years, do you happen to know how old the parents are? If you can't answer these questions it's cool. These were just questions that I thought of.

Sorry if I seem like a pest. I have attached the application. I drove 5 hours for my last adoption so I am not opposed to driving for this one...but she was in PA and I see that Lyric is in GA. I hope we can work something out. I am not comforable with sending a baby like that on a plane but I guess it's done. Actually, if you approve us I will be absolutely insane with worry until I have her in my arms.

Thanks
Christine

PS If you'd lke to see my facebook page (to check out my house, family and other pets) just let me know your name so that if you make a request I'll know its you."

SO then I receive this email..I am going to leave all names out..
except mine lol

"Hello ~ my name is ......... & I am actually the one who has the puppy (Lyric) that you inquired about.

I'm sorry, but your adoption application has been denied.

Thank you for your interest."

So I was of course surprised so I emailed her back...

"HI Just curious why our application was denied."

Then I got this back and it blew me away.....just so ya know I am a housewife, who lives on LI and has always rescued dogs...everything in my house except my tortoises are rescues (& mutts)....

"It's nothing personal. We reserve the right to deny adoption to anyone, for any reason.

These are rescue dogs. We are not breeders. Someone who shows SO MUCH interest in "AKC Papers" and the parents of the dogs aren't usually the type of people who adopt dogs, they are usually the type of people who buy from breeders & are possibly breeders themselves.

Yes, these puppies parent's had papers. The breeder offered them to me at the time of surrender and I turned them down b/c these are RESCUES, they are not cash cows and will not be advertised as such. A mixed breed dog with no papers is no less valuable or worthy of adoption than a purebred dog with AKC papers. And I, for one, refused to put more value on one dog than another just because of a piece of paper.

Someone who knows so much about papers, registry & things like ataxia make me suspicious of backyard breeding.

Again, it's nothing personal. We deny applications daily, so please don't feel picked on.

Take care."

SO now I am like what? The only reason I asked about papers was because they said the pups were purebred and I said I had no intentions of breeding....and to say I put more value on a purebreed..ok now I am offended...so I of course never knowing when to just let things go email her back, (I am a typical woman LOL)

"OK I see. Well I guess that's what I get for doing research. I just didn't want to get a dog that I would have to put to sleep in two years. We were only interested in AKC for the agility for my daughter and have always rescued dogs. We figured why buy one when there are purebreeds to be rescued. My other two dogs are rescues and mutts but I guess you didn't even look at my app. We do agility with them but can't compete because they are mutts. I know you say it's not personal and I guess you meet some weird people but you didn't even call my vet or references and judged on a couple of questions. Oh well, Merry Christmas and Best of luck to you and L'il lyric."

And then she emails me.....

"You're right, I didn't look at your application & I did judge you based on the questions you asked. Experience has taught me to go with my gut, and I did.

Happy Holidays."

SO is this normal that she won't even look at my application? I mean I was open to people coming to my house and checking it out and everything...but no because I asked too many questions she won't even consider us.... so of course here I go...with another email..

Aw I feel bad you are so bitter... It's sad but I guess you see and meet alot of bad people. Best of luck to you and your rescue. Sorry it didn't work out. Happy Holidays!!
smile.png

and of course I get one back....

I am not bitter, trust me. But thank you for your "concern". If I was bitter or burned out I wouldn't be rescuing anymore.

BUT the more you talk the more I am, once again, thankful that I went with my gut.
Please do not email me again.

OMG ok so I should have dropped it but that pup would have had a great life with us and my family was crushed and just because I did research and asked to many questions we aren't going to get her.....

but seriously is adopting an AST this difficult always or did I just run into an overly judgemental person...and I never said she was burned out...those were her words... so what do you think?

Sorry for the long post

he.gif

Last edited:
WOW! They really missed out
sad.png
I know I wish I had papers for my APBT.... it's the only way to get into the pulling contests etc.
sad.png
I'd have loved to train him for something like that. My dog is one of the only neutered dogs in our family... I ABHOR backyard breeding and puppy mills. I can understand them being cautious... but geez, they could have done their research, or better yet required spaying/neutering.

also... knowing what I know now about white APBTs and all of the health issues they can have.... I'd have been happy that someone had taken the time to find out if it was something they were ready to tackle. A dog that ends up at the vets more often than not or has a chronic condition is not a dog for any ole dog owner.

Last edited:
I've never been able to adopt a dog. I'm always denied since I don't have a fenced in yard. It makes no difference that I live on 20 acres. I feel your pain....

"also... knowing what I know now about white APBTs and all of the health issues they can have.... I'd have been happy that someone had taken the time to find out if it was something they were ready to tackle. A dog that ends up at the vets more often than not or has a chronic condition is not a dog for any ole dog owner." ~Guitarists

That was one of the things that crossed my mind. I was also concerned on why this guy would give a whole litter away with out trying to sell them..... I have never bought a dog all of mine are rescues and mutts...frankly a purebred concerned me so there was another reason for me doing the research.

Oh well...

Sounds like she was a pain. Looks like you want to do performance events, that is the type of home I love to find for dogs. If you ask me if they were really running a rescue the dogs would be totally vetted before going to new homes. They sound fishy to me. FYI if you have a dog of any AKC rec breed you can get ILP papers, if the rescue people knew that they would also know for ILP the dog has to be spayed/neutered and if someone wants papers for breeding there is a spot for limited reg which means any offspring cannot be reg w. akc. My BC is ILP akc reg, she was adopted from the local HS. There is also other venues of agility NADAC, CPE, USDAA are a few the dogs do not have to be purebred.

Please don't give up on rescues there are many great ones out there.
smile.png

This is why so many animals get put to sleep instead of going to a good home.

Caution on a rescuers part is a good thing, going overboard is not.

Oh my goodness, I don't even know where to start. I am sorry that you are not going to be bringing home Lyric. It sounds like that rescue worker hasn't done much research for herself. It would be much easier to find good homes for those puppies if they had their papers.

Your emails were professional and well thought out. You shouldn't feel any regret with what you wrote. That rescue worker has some personal trust issues and I don't think there was anything you could have said to change their mind once it had been made up.

I am really sorry. But don't give up, I'm sure your puppy is out there somewhere.

Quote:
You know I guess she meets really crappy people in her line of work and I guess if I had to be cynical about everyone I would also become IDK can't even descibe her in a nice way...but i guess she is trying to do the right hing but she was pretty rude.

And it wasn't so much being denied it was the way and the reason...my kids are crushed but I told them it wasn't meant to be...she wasn't meant to be ours. Maybe these dogs do have issues and she knows it.....who knows...
sad.png
hmm.png
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom