OK I HAVE TO VENT!!! UPDATE UPDATE U R NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!!

Around here they only have AKC competitions (that's what my trainer told me)... I am going to check out the local 4H 'cause someone said they also have competitions as well.

It sounds like this person either did not want to let the dog go because of being attached to it, or already had a home in mind for her and had to do the protocol of accepting all applications before picking the home for the dog.
I tried to adopt some abandoned goats from the animal shelter and was denied because I was told they were livestock and not pets. The crazy thing is, I have goats and I think they can be both. Get this, one of the employees of the shelter took the goats to the stock barn and auctioned them off. I know this because I was at the stock yard when the employee brought them in. I went back to the animal shelter superintendant and told them of my findings. He then denied even having goats in the facility! I just dropped the whole thing for I knew I was getting no where.
I sure wish you would have gotten that puppy! Dogs at your home sound like lucky and loved pets. Sorry about your loss and the kids being crushed!

Quote:
She's a mutt, my husband calls her a Labradork because she's such a nut. Part Black Lab, part who knows what! She came from a good rescue.

kodiak.jpg

Kodiakworking.jpg

Hey Conroy - if you find out what your dog is, let us know. We have a stray that showed up in our yard three months ago, starving, skinny, approx. 6 months old, weighed 9 pounds. We kept her and named her Prissy. Looks just like your dog. Prissy is now much bigger and three times heavier. I orignally thought she was a Min Pin but she may be getting too big for that classification. Either way, she's an adorable little cover diving/stealing sweetie.

Prissy12-8.jpg

She loves her big friend Scarlett and they play all day long.

SP3.jpg

I bought Scarlett from a local breeder (and I won't even go into the filthy conditions she had the puppies in and how sick and worm ridden she was) because I had tried every rescue group and no one would even return my e-mail or bother to deny my application or even acknowledge that they had received it. I already had one GSD, the infamous Rex, and some of the online apps asked what I knew about the breed and how would it be used. Again, never heard back from any rescue group.

I had previously been denied adopting a cat from the Covington SPCA no-kill shelter where I used to live. Reason given, they called my vet and one of my dogs, a stray we had taken in (and by the way, all our pets are strays) was a month past due for a Parvo Shot which isn't even a required shot.

I agree that the rescue groups I've encountered don't really want to find a good home for the pets and would rather house them indefinitely while other rescues are forced to go to the pound or be put down. No one is good enough. I had a friend who is a millionare also denied adopting a puppy because they asked, on the application, if the dog would EVER be left alone and he checked "yes" - apparently the WRONG answer. If rescue groups would stop looking for reasons to turn down applications and start looking for reasons to accept them, they could take on and find homes for lots more pets who lose their lives because they aren't fortunate enough to land with a rescue group that will keep them forever, rejecting applicant after applicant.

I don't even bother applying any more. Now I live in the country, no fences, and my dogs run lose. No neighbors, just surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of woods and my 4 dogs guard the livestock. Not only would I not be approved, they would probably report me to the local pet police as being "unfit" and try and have my pets confiscated.

Quote:
the only thing with 4-h is the dog and kid has to compete in obedience if you want to compete at all but its the same events and every thing.

See I told you it wasn't ment to be! You got your puppy anyway! And if I was your s-i-l I'd pass even if I was approved.

Personally I think that adoption fee is rediculous! W/ her not being spayed that's crazy! I normally tend to defend rescues' adoption fees, it cost alot to keep a rescue up and running, occationally you luck into a rescue that is already spayed/neutered and fully vaccinated that doesn't really require much more then food and water, but the majority of the time they are going to need some care, at the least spaying/neutering (which is becoming almost unaffordable) and vaccinations, but also other health care. And someone may say, they just got this dog in and he was healthy and didn't need much, but they still need the adoption fee to help w/ others who will be going for the same fee, but needed alot more work. Rescues generally have set adoption fees, varying by the dogs ages, some dogs are going to cost them more and some will cost them less, it's supposed to average out in the end.

My mom didn't understand the idea of "adopting" a pet when she could get one for free from someone giving them away, but after thinking about it, she's coming around. We (she, but I was w/ her) adopted a kitten and a puppy from a adoption thing at a pet carnaval (this is the same place I was denied, but different rescue), I think the kitten was $70 and the puppy was $80, both were fully vaccinated and spayed/neutered, if we'd gotten them for free we'd have still had to have these things done, and by 6 months old we'd have had more invested in them then what we could adopt them for. This varies alot by location, I'd say the fees here are alot lower then alot of what I hear others paying (both adoption fees, and vet fees).

We've also had goats come into the shelter, but they don't try to hide the fact that they take them to the auction, they won't adopt them out either. I did try to adopt some that came in, they just told me to be at the auction.

If I'm not buying from a breeder, I prefer a shelter dog over a rescue dog, simply to skip all the red tape and strings, and because those are the dogs that truely need help. Even though I am getting as is, untested. Although I am very picky when it comes to getting a new dog/pet and sometimes it takes a while for me to find "the one".

I found these on petfinder

# You have the right to adopt the best dog/cat you have ever met

# You have the right to be educated, and explained the reasons why you are refused and adoption, so that you can make changes in order to become a conscientious pet owner

# You have the right to be treated with respect, courtesy, and professionalism

# You have the right to inquire and receive as much prior behavioral and medical history on the dog that is currently available

# You have the right to be informed of the dogs actual age, and if the actual age is not known, to receive the best guess from a shelter professional

# You have the right to be informed of the dogs actual breed or breed mix, and if not known, to receive the best guess from a shelter professional, with no euphemisms or avoiding breeds that conjure up public fear (e.g. Pit Bull, Chow, etc.)

# You have the right to expect the shelter to stand behind its dogs/puppies, and accept them back AT ANY TIME, for ANY REASON, should the need ever arise in the dog's lifetime

Adoption Refusals: No shelter has a crystal ball, they will sometimes refuse adopting to a potentially good owner or worse, adopt animals to an unsatisfactory owner. Good shelters try hard to match the right pet with the right owner and give the new owner realistic expectations about their new companion.

I haven't read the whole thread but i thought you might want to read these​

Quote:
She's a mutt, my husband calls her a Labradork because she's such a nut. Part Black Lab, part who knows what! She came from a good rescue.

kodiak.jpg

^ I see Labrador/Spaniel, and... WHAT A SWEET FACE!!!!!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom