Ok I looked for this question and I don't seem to see it so......

I will as soon as I finish the roll and get it developed. I took two for that very purpose. Rocky has a pinkish comb compared to the red of the other two.

Ok my daughter was wondering if hens get periods? You know like dogs do when they go into season? Don't laugh I was wondering too.
lau.gif

Quote:
Lol, I had never known that about dog "period" until a stray female puppy came to live with us -guess I had a sheltered upbringing.
roll.png
But once the vet told me about it we had her spayed as soon as she was old enough! No way would I deal with that!

As for chickens, no. They don't have a womb -all the embryo growth happens outside their body- they merely shed the eggs. I guess you could say broodiness is like PMS, unless they're actually sitting on fertile eggs -then I guess it would be like pregnancy hormones.
lol.png
They do get "in the mood" sometimes, or are more receptive to a roo, but lacking a uterus they don't have an estrus cycle -at least, not a cycle like mammals.

It's not a dumb question -I wondered too, and did some reading.
smile.png

Periods occur at the end of each ovulation cycle in mammals. Thus the bleeding to shed the uterine lining and useless egg floating around. Chicken variation of that is laying an egg each ovulation cycle. 25-30 hrs rather than 30 days.

lau.gif
ok ok. I get it now. I was just wondering. She was trying to help me figure out who might have bloody poo.

Back
Top Bottom