Ok, I think they're about ready???

kyle7630

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Semora NC
So I robbed my guinea nest from my hen who was setting, and put the eggs in the bator on the 12th. I let her sit for 7-10 days after I found her. Not sure how long she was sitting before I found her. So I'm thinking they could possibly be ready soon. I candled(again) and some of the eggs still have a little space at the tip, but about two thirds of them have gone completely dark. This is my first guinea hatch, but I figure the eggs can only get so full right? My only concern is if I go ahead and raise the humidity and put them in lockdown, will not turning them ruin the hatch if I'm a little early??? Any advice on the entire hatch, to go along with the advice I have already gotten on here, is appreciated?

Quote:
You're probably looking for someone else's opinion on this, lol but...

I don't usually see any light at all thru the bottom of any of my eggs when I candle them and move them to the hatcher, maybe a few small areas at the top near the air cell, but never at the bottom. If a few of your eggs are completely dark, they may just be a couple days ahead of the others, and might have started developing while your Hen was on the nest for extended periods of time laying the last few eggs before she finally decided to stop laying and go broody.

If you can see the air cells have slanted in the majority of your eggs, or if you see several of the eggs have internally pipped (where the keets have pecked thru the internal egg membrane and you can just barely make out the tip of their beak against the inside of the shell) that's when I'd start lock down (OR if you see a few eggs that actually have pipped, then it's obvious).

IMO... turning them a day longer and holding off on raising the RH is less of an issue than not turning them long enough and raising the RH too soon. I've had quite a few keets hatch in the incubator, with just 50% humidity while STILL being turned in the turner and they hatched just fine, lol (funny but not funny, they coulda gotten squished in the turner!).

Last edited:
Quote:
You're probably looking for someone else's opinion on this, lol but...

I don't usually see any light at all thru the bottom of any of my eggs when I candle them and move them to the hatcher, maybe a few small areas at the top near the air cell, but never at the bottom. If a few of your eggs are completely dark, they may just be a couple days ahead of the others, and might have started developing while your Hen was on the nest for extended periods of time laying the last few eggs before she finally decided to stop laying and go broody.

If you can see the air cells have slanted in the majority of your eggs, or if you see several of the eggs have internally pipped (where the keets have pecked thru the internal egg membrane and you can just barely make out the tip of their beak against the inside of the shell) that's when I'd start lock down (OR if you see a few eggs that actually have pipped, then it's obvious).

IMO... turning them a day longer and holding off on raising the RH is less of an issue than not turning them long enough and raising the RH too soon. I've had quite a few keets hatch in the incubator, with just 50% humidity while STILL being turned in the turner and they hatched just fine, lol (funny but not funny, they coulda gotten squished in the turner!).

Your advice is always welcomed and taken in with weight. I will keep an eye out for the internal pipping even though I don't know exactly what I'm looking for, but I imagine it's a pip up where the air cell starts??? I will turn and watch a couple more days and look for any changes. I feel like it should be getting close, and I'm excited. I hope they start soon!

Thanks Kyle
smile.png
I've hatched a lot of keets and incessantly fussed over every single one of my hatches, so I'm more than happy to share my experiences and what I know to watch for.

Internal pipping looks pretty much like I described it, the keet has pecked it's beak thru the membrane into the air cell at the top of the egg and you can usually see the shadow of it's head and it's pointy little beak up in the air cell at that point, the tip of the beak is usually up against the side of the shell towards the top, and it often shows up as a small dark spot (the beak tip). As you turn the egg while candling you can make out the shape of it. And even if you can't really make out the shape of the beak, you definitely see a mass in the air cell that wasn't there previously. Usually you can see the keet moving a little in the air cell too.

Oh and one more thing I forgot to tell you to watch for... or listen for actually, is if you hear any peeping from the eggs... then it's go time! (Lockdown).

Hope the hatch goes well! I'm excited for you!

Quote:
I just checked for the slanting and internal pipping. I didn't see any indication of the internal pipping, and didn't hear anything, but the air cells are starting to slant in all eggs. I have kept the RH right around 50% so far. I will continue turning and candle again maybe tomorrow night. Thanks again for the help!

Excellent, slanted air cells!! It's getting sooooo close! I think I'd go ahead with lockdown tomorrow too.
You'll have a bunch of fluffy peeping keetsies before you know it
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I just came on here to update you all and found the post up near the top. lol. Well, I waited an extra day for lockdown. I candled early this morning around 2:00am and did see internal pipping. I jacked the RH up and locked it down. Now I'm just sitting on my hands and waiting impatiently. Temp is 100, RH is 72%. I hope to have some keets by tomorrow night. Wish them luck:)

Back
Top Bottom