Ok, I'm ready for the truth about our Easter Eggers!

FarmerMama7

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
I have been reading and studying pictures and I still can't figure out the difference in the young birds, if you can tell me the gender of these guys, can you also tell me why? I'm determined to get the hang of it!

When we went to put a deposit down on our coop, the guy let our kids pick some week old EE's for free. We couldn't say no to that! The kids named them, but before they did we made sure they understood that these chickens would be either providing us eggs or meat. We'll see how well that goes the first time ;) They are 6 weeks old, and I'm afraid they're all dinner-I mean boys!

This is Peanut Butter, the only one growing (forgive me for my lack of chicken term knowledge!) the things on the lower face

Penguin-they thought he had a penguin face as a baby, which I've seen called a chipmunk face here

Cauliflower

And Morrio

I have 2 EE's that were sexed Pullets, and I have no clue how they figure it all out either, so I'm in the same boat, but mine are only 3 weeks now. But I don't even think Peanut Butter is even an EE, For one he has yellow legs, not the green and he doesn't have the classic pea comb. But I'm no expert. As for what they are, I couldn't say, but I feel you have 2 Pullets and 2 Roos, but I'm not going to say which ones, because I have no clue

The only one that I feel is NOT a Roo is "Penguin", although that comb is very suspicious. If you can get photos of their backs, we can look for red splotches that sex-link to roosters.
Also, try posting pictures in this thread ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included ), it is full of brilliant EE people.
smile.png
It also gives a huge explanation on sexing EE's I think you will find very use full, but in general..
- A Rooster will have pointed saddle and hackle feathers (located from their neck, down their back, to their tail.), their comb (That fleshy bit on top of the head, at base of beak.) is larger and a deeper shade of red than a Hen, same as their wattles (the fleshy bits dangling from their chins).
- A Rooster will develop large spurs located above their feet on their legs, although a Hen can develop these as well, a Rooster's will be much larger in comparison.
- A Rooster weigh more than a Hen, and are larger in body mass.

Last edited:
I've thought it was odd that 'Peanut Butter' has different feet than the other 3. There were neighbor kids over playing with the chicks, maybe they put him back in the wrong box? Or is it possible for an EE to have orange feet?

They all look like cockerel to me too. Combs are already turning red. You can definitely see the 3 ridges/rows on Morrio comb making him a him for sure. Maybe just maybe cauliflower could be a pullet.

That's what I'm thinking too, all of my hen hopes are going into Cauliflower...they were all the same size for awhile, and then all of them shot up and grew combs, but Cauliflower is still small and has a small comb, so maybe! Thank you :)
They all look like cockerel to me too. Combs are already turning red. You can definitely see the 3 ridges/rows on Morrio comb making him a him for sure. Maybe just maybe cauliflower could be a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom